SS rings and chains (pg 4).

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Since realising my drivetrain is totally gone im looking for replacements.

Wondering what decent 1/8th chains/cogs and rings are there? (4bolt).

Will be looking for red/black/silver parts.

Is that ring 1/8th though?

Thats the chain i have now. Not too bad, hasnt snapped. Pretty noisy now its all flappy though haha!.

Rings are a bit bland, maybe im being too fussy. Really like the chromag red ones and velosolo polished but really not sure. Velosolo dont do red either.
Been looking at this chain:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/gussetssdcolouredchain.aspx?&id=16323

Oh mama this is nice, 10 speed though and pricey!
KMC_X10SL_DLC_Black_Red_Chain__02272_zoom.jpg

Really like this though but its blimmin expensive although it seems it rates well!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMC-Z510H...-Black-and-Red-Chain-/200708819787#vi-content

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well E13 do some nice single speed rings for 1 1.18th chains in a variety sizes. Do you want one, I looking for an excuse to order some.

Do not get hung up on running single speed rings and 1 1/8th chain though. I have two SS running without thensioners - I worked out the ratio needed to achieve this and neither is running the ideal ring/chain combo.

The Orange EVO2 runs a TA 9 speed ring with 1 1/8th chain and had been doing so for months. The chain has not come of yet and it is all perfect and it gets regular abuse. It used to have a SS ring, tensioner and chian guide which I was advised that I needed many years ago before I was a bit more clued up. It turned for the riding I do, singletrack mostly, that advise was cobblers.

The other SS is an old Marin that uses a midleburn ring now and 8 speed chain, again no issues and this also has had plenty of trial use.

In short if you have rings laying around use them, if not then why not get a nice SS ring.

Yeh no spare rings so got to get a new one.
Currently running an e13, i like them but wanted to go for something a tad different since im probably buying it new.

Not sure!

Re: SS rings and chains

cyfa2809":3hdyf5xk said:
Since realising my drivetrain is totally gone im looking for replacements.

Wondering what decent 1/8th chains/cogs and rings are there? (4bolt).

Will be looking for red/black/silver parts.

Why 1/8th ? Probably more choice available in 3/32", I would think.

For chains look no further than a KMC Z610HX :cool:

Weight isnt an issue so i thought may aswell go for 1/8th for a little extra durability?

cyfa2809":2t9wyuxq said:
Weight isnt an issue so i thought may aswell go for 1/8th for a little extra durability?

I don't think that they are any more durable though.

Andy R":3lco90gg said:
cyfa2809":3lco90gg said:

I don't think that they are any more durable though.

Agree with Andy...no discernible difference between 1/8th and 3/32 other than one is heavier with limited choice. Stick to 3/32 ;)

Surly steel chain ring and KMC X1 chain. If they can stand up to my weight when bullying a SS up a steep hill they must be strong.

Back