Rocky Mountain - Hammer

Hammertime!

If you'll forgive the vulturing I could do with some rh m740 shifter spares if your's isn't in the bin already? :oops:

elPedro666":3c0kc3hn said:
Hammertime!

If you'll forgive the vulturing I could do with some rh m740 shifter spares if your's isn't in the bin already? :oops:

:LOL:

Yeah the guy at the LBS seemed to think it's past it :/ Gutted TBH these things are so delicate huh, seems they haven't evolved well at all.

You can definitely have the RH shifter for parts, i can't ever see me needing it again?

What parts do you need/ what's up with your one?

mt1e9.jpg

23hkk8n.jpg

good job putting that together. but two things…

why are your shifters mounted below your levers??? the gear indicators should be sitting above the levers and facing you so you can see them.

second, that doesn't look like a Race Face stem. At least none that I've seen before.

Thanks, its taken a while however I suspect the restoration may take equally as long ;)

Could you tell me an average weight for a machine such as this, please? it seems to weigh a tonne!!

In answer to your questions; I like to run my levers almost at 90degrees (well - 70 or so :LOL: ) and the shifters follow suit else they catch on the levers and don't shift, you see. i don't really use indicator windows as i raced bikes for a while BITD and generally know which gear i'm in ;) i haven't ridden this thing yet and i just had the shifters changed at the LBS so the set-up will take a fair few rides to smooth out i reckon.

Hmmm - it's a cro-mo stem with really neat tig welds, when i first got it i thought it was Ti due to the colouration however there is small spots of surface rust all over it which suggests it isn't. There is 2 'tiny' matching Raceface decals either side, it's authenticity i can only speculate, i could take a few close up shots if you'd like, when i get my mitts on a camera again.

Cheers.

jonnymcenroe":3kmk28d0 said:
Frame : Tange triple-butted, made in Canada?
Yes, I think they were made in Vancouver at that point, but the serial number should tell us for sure.

jonnymcenroe":3kmk28d0 said:
it seems to weigh a tonne!!
It's a mid-weight frame, not a lightweight. It does what it says on the tin, it's made for hammering.

Anthony":1uo2p7sz said:
jonnymcenroe":1uo2p7sz said:
Frame : Tange triple-butted, made in Canada?
Yes, I think they were made in Vancouver at that point, but the serial number should tell us for sure.

H
T9409

jonnymcenroe":1uo2p7sz said:
it seems to weigh a tonne!!
It's a mid-weight frame, not a lightweight. It does what it says on the tin, it's made for hammering.

Cool, kinda suspected that - can't wait to take it offroad.

Is it a sin to throw some risers and a hardcore fork on there?

Any other suggestions as to how the final build could run?

Risers are just wrong full stop, on any bike :x <MUTTER>

Can accept modern forks on an old frame though, so long as the length/travel's okay it makes sense to get the most of a rider.

Yeah :LOL:

I'm just concerned about my Judys, they haven't seen much action and have been lying dormant for years, i'd prefer to get a hardcore fork on there for sure although I had to get the steerer chopped to fit this bike so they'll be on there for a while i suspect. Guess this answers my Rond question. :)

My Equipe says E 17.5 and B9608 0310. I think it must have been built in Vancouver because it's a Blizzard frame and Blizzards were made in Vancouver for a good few years after that. The E presumably means Equipe, 17.5 is the size and I wonder whether B might stand for B.C., or even Blizzard.

You have H and T9409 2899, so say H means Hammer, 9409 means built in September 94 and normally you would think the T meant The Bicycle Group, a big Taiwan company that makes frames etc. I can't think what else it might mean. So maybe they had already transferred Hammer production offshore even a few years before the ProCycle takeover?

I would think it would certainly suit a more heavy duty fork, maybe a Z2 if you want to stay fairly close to period. And the more heavy duty the fork, and the riding you plan to do, obviously the stronger is the argument for using a nice wide riser bar.

Back