1996 GT Zaskar, where to start?

judy forks will be a great match for it, they will fit fine. assuming steerer is long enough of course! :cool:

magura raceline HS33 would be a top choice. the rear brake route on the zaskar is not the best, cable stops arent all that good.

v brake would also be good. mine runs canti, they are old school, but they dont work all that well, i sometimes think about changing...

BB the thing to look for is the 73 shell 107 spindle, thats what mine runs anyway. 107 spindles are very rare these days, not a common width. if you go wider, i suspect your chainline will suffer. this is assuming you intend to run old school cranks, on mine it has 737 cranks, which do not have a very good chainline design..

merckx":1jgtbs55 said:
magura raceline HS33 would be a top choice. the rear brake route on the zaskar is not the best, cable stops arent all that good.
Quick question about the Maguras. What is the difference between the HS22 and HS33?

Also, from reading up on Magura installs, the hoses don't fit in the standard cable guides? So that leaves me with zip ties which I don't mind but would rather keep things tidy, or I have seen some Magura cable guides like these but they don't seem to be available anymore.
magura%20alloy%20hose%20guide.jpg

Try asking in the wanted section - might find that someone has some spares. Never used Maguras myself so can't comment on if you need 'em or not. Guessing that you must be able to get something similar for disk brake hoses though that might work.

For the Magura quesiton you might be as well starting a new topic in the main 'retro mtb' thread - might get more people looking / answering there. :)

(p.s. got the finger nails clean yet? :D :D )

dont specifically know the exact differences between 22's and 33's, but 22 are definately lower spec and finish, i recall seeing both lever sets bitd. the 33 are much nicer levers, the latter ones also a nicer blade shape. of course the neon yellow bling factor is not to be underestimated, particularly on a GT!

Later 33's (raceline?) had the lever throw adjusting dial aslo, whereas 22 did not.

from my hazy memory, the caliper setup was functionally the same, just different colurs.

its somewhat like the difference between shimano XT and LX overall

maybe ask in the general section, there will be magura experts there for sure!

Back