my 89 Stumpjumper epic

krakhaus

Old School Hero
my 91 stumpjumper was stolen about 6 months ago, and after searching craigslist for about a month, i found this 89 (i think it's an 89 anyway) epic for a steal of a deal. it's a little rough, but more than worth what i paid for it ($45 US :D ).
i'm not sure i like the feel of a carbon frame, and i definitely don't like the suspension fork. it's in great shape, but i'd prefer a steel fork, as this is my around town bike.
stump1.jpg

stump2.jpg

stump3.jpg

thanks. do you think replacing the fork will lower the front end too much. i'm thinking i might have to replace the cranks with some 170's if i do the front end swap.

krakhaus":2vrfax60 said:
thanks. do you think replacing the fork will lower the front end too much.
depends on how comfortable you feel on it. this frame wasnt designed around a suspension fork.

i don't think it lists it on the spec sheet, but from what i've been told, it did actually come stock with the suspension fork. which seems weird for a bike made in 89.

89 didnt come with a suspension fork. later, around 93-95 came with a specialized future shock fork, although the frame geometry was still the same as the 1990 frames.

cool. i kind of figured so. i've been looking for a 1" rigid specialized in black, but i may have to just fit some random fork until i can find one for a decent price.

i'll sell the fork. shipping to the netherlands could be kinda pricey, but i'm not looking for much for the fork. pm me if you're interested in it. a friend is bringing over a steel jamis fork later this evening.

Back