boy"O"boy's Pace RC100S

videojetman":s4flod4m said:
how's the build going ?
looking forward to seeing this done.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far! - thanks for the scans too Dossa. Haven't got these but then you are an MBUK guru round these parts!!
It's early days still at the moment VJM, but all of the thick powdercoat is now off!! ( at last!! ) and the fork legs, stem and Bullseye's will go into paint. Colour chosen - Metallic yellow Glazurit MY005.55
Silver as yet undecided as the fork crown is not back from the anodiser yet. Looking to get this in the RC100S spec colour rather than the normal black - then match the silver to suit.
Graphic proof has been sent to www.digiwrapltd.co.uk after recommendation from a friend...
Scored the all important yellow toes straps too - result. :D

Expect slow progress in the coming weeks.

Cheers
boy" :cool: "boy

Attachments

• GW524H393.jpg
    GW524H393.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,626
Looking good,still not got mine stripped for painting,going to ride it in the snow this week!
:D :D

1210tech":3sz4l3v2 said:
can't wait for the next installment :D

- It's been sometime!
The long awaited 5th Installment of Project RC100 #0286!

*appliance of science*

2012 started with my RC100 frame/forks/stem and bulleyes in a stripped state awaiting etch priming and painting. Other priorities took over and the project went very much on the back burner.
One of the things I had done though, was to record the frameset and parts using a process called photogrammetry scanning. These files were captured as separate parts - and only just got around to aligning the parts in their correct positions.
Although this is more of a "let's see what we can do with the equipment" project, it has proved useful for building the datasets for the line guides.
More to follow on this in the next installment.

background and details of process here :- http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 3&start=15

Search for www.gom.com for more details on the scanning process.

In terms of getting the actual bike back together, I still have to get the fork crown anodised. This will help me match the grey to the fork crown as in the previous images.
Metallic yellow has been chosen for the stem, bulleyes and fork legs...
I now have all the parts to complete....
Just need to find some time to move the project onwards. :oops:

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• PaceRC100_SCAN10.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN10.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,984
  • PaceRC100_SCAN3.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,984
  • PaceRC100_SCAN1.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,983
  • PaceRC100_SCAN7.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN7.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,984
some more images.

Attachments

• PaceRC100_SCAN9.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN9.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,979
  • PaceRC100_SCAN5.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN5.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,979
  • PaceRC100_SCAN6.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN6.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,979
  • PaceRC100_SCAN2.jpg
    PaceRC100_SCAN2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,979
Interesting to see this technique in use in another application, we use it for measuring the distortion of large flanged mating surfaces on pump casings etc

I am interested in how the CAD package picks up the detail on the welds and other items such as brake bosses etc? (we just use a algorithm on the co-ordinate data to say if its in or out of tolerance so no fancy pics involved!)

Boy O boy, how did I miss this thread??? Looking good so far and those cad pictures are insane!!! Think you'll end up with a very fine example mate! Was it a 19" model?

Thanks for the interest so far...
Next installment coming soon. In the meantime -

@gingernuts/badger - Thanks! - I studied furniture/product design at university, hence the interest in design classics. I've got a Jacobsen and serveral other Eames chairs too.

@hopper22 - Thanks! - As above, I saw these for sale in a skate shop whilst working in Germany and bought them before I got the furniture - They're the Tony Larson furniture series for Girl Skateboards. I'm missing one from the set, but when I bought them - I had no idea how collectable they are.

@nevadasmith - In a car design application, we use scans of this sort to build math models by recording the surface of full size clay models. We can also use this data to animate or render images - hence the fancy pics!
This data is also suited to engineering or checking applications - the scan is accurate to approximately 0.05mm of the original Tri-top set up file.
It picks up details such as welds and brake bosses fairly well, but there are limitations. I couldn't scan the inside of the chainstay brace for example. The polygons are also 'regularized' to improve filesize for use in modelling/rendering packages. Basically, flatter surfaces will have fewer polygons - detailed areas and radii will have more.
Here's some more pics for you -

@Rich. Slow burner mate! 19" bought from burkeredh as appears on your web site. Anyone into their Pace should check this out!

Cheers all,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• PaceRC100-closeup6.jpg
    PaceRC100-closeup6.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1,252
  • PaceRC100-closeup7.jpg
    PaceRC100-closeup7.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,252
  • PaceRC100-closeup4.jpg
    PaceRC100-closeup4.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,250