Disc Brake advice

retro73

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello

I am looking at getting some disc brakes for general on road use and occasional of road ... but not hardcore down hill abuse :LOL:

Any advice on disc size front rear. Or anything really as I have never had disc brakes on a bike before and would like to get in to this new fangled idea :LOL: and has anyone tried the new music on a disc - cd or something :LOL:

Thanks Dave

who still calls dvds video lets watch a video - just me oh well :roll:

You can never have too much braking :) if its not significantly more costly /difficult to fit bigger rotors, and the minimal weight penalty doesn't bother you, then why not?

180 front, 140 rear works well.

Agreed, if you have 200's and all the mounts and theyre ok for your frame and stuff then may as well. Since getting some 203's a few years ago, all my bikes have had them now.

It'll also depend on your disc brakes, the calipers are designed for a certain rotor size without adapters. You can add adapters, +20mm etc to change rotor sizes, it depends if you want a clean look.

Then there's the issue of braking stresses and what the frame/forks were designed to tolerate.

160mm will stop you just fine.

Oh dear :oops:

6 pots & 9" rotors :LOL: :LOL:

1ae3e929.jpg

Overkill ;)

G

160's again for road use. I use 180/160 on my XC bike and it has no trouble stopping on steep downhill sections.

What calipers were you tinking of using. Going for hydraulic or cable operated calipes?

Back