The Lynskey Litespeed Group. Review and post a pic of yours.

John":3vjuoekq said:
Nice frame, I have the previous year's Ocoee which I've had since new. No doubt the litespeeds are great frames, even the bottom of the pile models like your Obed. I rated and still rate the way mine rides, even when compared against the high end steel I have at my disposal, no Pine Mountains sadly, just a Yo Eddy and Mountain Goat WTR. However they do seem underrated and really don't seem especially 'collectable' - whatever that means.

The main thing is your happy with it - which you seem to be.

Not sure I'd count the ABG Litespeeds as poor. How are you judging this?

Also where did you get that list of 'facts' from?

John, as I have had so many negatives and no love for the Litespeed on Retrobike over some time, what I am trying to do is drum up a little bit of love for this undervalued brand on here with a debate and a few facts I have collected over the years. You are one of the few who can actually say that they have owned and ridden one. It seems strange that my 2 Kona Explosifs receive bucket loads of admiration on here as, although the ride is excellent its not as good as my Obed. :oops:

After riding one, I think Lynskey's work should be admired as much as (dare I say it) a Klein or a Murray Kona.

If all this debate does is make some have a ride on a pre 1999 Litespeed and then still say its never worth preserving, then its room 101 for Lynskey! lol :(

shaun":2gnlo6kl said:
It seems strange that my 2 Kona Explosifs receive bucket loads of admiration on here.

After riding one, I think Lynskey's work should be admired as much as (dare I say it) a Klein or a Murray Kona.

Ah, the old 'Kona' conundrum.

Why is it that a mass produced bike (and it doesn't have to be a Kona) receives more accolades than a more exotic, limited build or a hand built custom beauty?

Let me know when you've figured it out.

Russell said:
shaun said:
It seems strange that my 2 Kona Explosifs receive bucket loads of admiration on here.

Why is it that a mass produced bike (and it doesn't have to be a Kona) receives more accolades than a more exotic, limited build or a hand built custom beauty?

Weird indeed. Here in Italy it has never been successfull and I'd never buy one (unless it's a Hei Hei). But it must have some kind of X factor...

Modern ones are really cool, tho. Probably the only modern industrial brand which somehow appeals to me.

Russell":2kjmb0gl said:
shaun":2kjmb0gl said:

Russell, like your very thoughful answers to this interesting debate. The only answer to your question that I can think of is that people feel that the 'tribe' brand we belong to is far more important than function and performance. As there are not many owners of hand build exotica, then a 'tribe' cannot be formed and thus it's not amired. I must admit I do enjoy the admiration and 'nods of approval' that my Kona Explosifs receive. I used to think it was for the bike, now I am thinking its a nod of approval for belonging to the correct 'tribal' group. :?

...........either that or its just down to raw metal v pretty paint jobs! :p

novekili":13vwbmv8 said:
Here in Italy it has never been successfull and I'd never buy one (unless it's a Hei Hei). But it must have some kind of X factor...

Modern ones are really cool, tho. Probably the only modern industrial brand which somehow appeals to me.

Hi Novekili, you say that Lynskey is not popular in Italy - the following picture of Paolo Aste on his way to victory at the Italian 24 Hour National Championships may help win a couple of fans in your country. :D

Attachments

• 24 hour.jpg
    24 hour.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 822
  • Paolo Aste's bike.jpg
    Paolo Aste's bike.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 823
Close up picture of a Lynskey weld for all those who have never seen the sheer quality! :facepalm:

Attachments

• quality welds.jpg
    quality welds.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 838
Collectable as in I collect as many mountain bikes as possible...yes. Collectable as in a stamp...no. Bikes are for riding and should be treated as such, ride it enjoy it and don't worry about what it's worth or what people think of it. One of the best mountain bikes I have ever owned was an old gas pipe claud butler I rode everywhere on that bike, it was heavy and had rubbish components but it got me into biking and had so much fun on it. I would also say any material for a bike frame has the potential to last a lifetime if it's taken care of.

I don't think Lynskey designed the On-One they just welded them together to On-One specifications.

Do retro Litespeeds sell for less than comparitive Dean or Merlin models?

CTK":23scbx3x said:
I don't think Lynskey designed the On-One they just welded them together to On-One specifications.

Do retro Litespeeds sell for less than comparitive Dean or Merlin models?

You are 100% right, Lynskey only specked the titanium to give it the exact feel, welded it, put it through all the stress tests and quality control. But you have to admit, its a very big ONLY! :roll:

The answer to the second question, is yes, they make very little money in comparison for what they are, this is why I am confused and am trying to spread the lurve! :oops:

shaun said:
novekili said:
Here in Italy it has never been successfull and I'd never buy one (unless it's a Hei Hei). But it must have some kind of X factor...

Hi Novekili, you say that Lynskey is not popular in Italy - the following picture of Paolo Aste on his way to victory at the Italian 24 Hour National Championships may help win a couple of fans in your country. :D

Hey, I was speaking about Kona. Lynskey is VERY populay (well, for what a ti bike can be popular)

Back