Might have to get a road bike, anyone help?

Bear in mind that at some point road bike sizing became just as arbitrary and unpredictable as MTBs -- as soon as compact/semi-compact/sloping top tubes came along on road bikes it all got a bit random. Sometimes you'll get something that's essentially a 58 in terms of reach but is called a 54 because that's what the seat tube measures. Or the same bike might be called a 58 despite the fact that no part of the frame actually measures that. Or it might just be called L :) And even if they use the same dimension to describe the sizes, two 58s could vary widely in reach and bar height.

Old frames with traditional geometry are more consistent. At 5'11" I'm thinking you'd be in the 56cm/22in area or thereabouts.

MikeD":6ovwp8lj said:
Old frames with traditional geometry are more consistent. At 5'11" I'm thinking you'd be in the 56cm/22in area or thereabouts.

56cm (horizontal) top tube sounds about right. Could probably get away with a 55 depending on torso length and how much the rider likes an upright position.

I'd look for steel or aluminum. Aluminum road frames have generally fallen out of favor as the weight weenies typically go for carbon these days and the purists stay with steel. You could probably find a relatively light aluminum framed bike with decent 90's parts that won't break the bank.

im 5 foot 9 and ride a 54cm
i have a spesh road bike and im doing the dartmoor classic this year on my zaskar with slicks
i find riding a mountain bike more comfortable on the longer rides

kirbdug :D

My trouble with the mtb idea is not having a rigid bike or even a hard tail, all full sussers and one soft-tail. I guess that one is a possibility but it is really too small for me.

Oh, I can almost feel a drop bar crossy type soft-tail coming on :oops: :oops:

Hybrid (I have a Carrera Subway - slicks, disks, road gearing).
Or as above MTB with the cogs changed to be a bit more road friendly.

The size sugestion of 56cm sounds about right, i'm 5'7" and 52 maximum for me.

Bought a road bike off here recently, an 88 Dawes, decent thing, full Reynolds 531 frame, 105 group, was only £100 posted, needed a good clean and service, new chain, cables etc, running great now, delighted with it.

Keep an eye on the for sale section, cheap runners turn up now and again ;)

jimihendrix":30b3btv1 said:
The size sugestion of 56cm sounds about right, i'm 5'7" and 52 maximum for me.

Bought a road bike off here recently, an 88 Dawes, decent thing, full Reynolds 531 frame, 105 group, was only £100 posted, needed a good clean and service, new chain, cables etc, running great now, delighted with it.

Keep an eye on the for sale section, cheap runners turn up now and again ;)

I've thought about it too, and the above, something like a Raleigh Triathlon or the Peugeot that came in a black/pink fade with 531 frame and 105 appeals to me too.
Reckon at 5 11 i'd want a 21" frame as the 23's were always to big for me.

Carl.

At 5'11 i'd had said 54 or 56cm.
I'm 5'8 and ride a 22" which is about 52cm i think?

Why not get a CX bike. Fit slicks for the day and then use it offroad after the event :D

development_cycle":24kh14hq said:
My trouble with the mtb idea is not having a rigid bike or even a hard tail, all full sussers and one soft-tail. I guess that one is a possibility but it is really too small for me.

Oh, I can almost feel a drop bar crossy type soft-tail coming on :oops: :oops:

It sounds like you need to buy another mtb to me!

Back