2002 Santa Cruz Superlight... 10th anniversary inspiration

Forks, big style. Fox are superb, i used to ride pace on my heckler from the same era, they were good too.

New expensions will transform em me booty!

I'd love fox's....when I specc'ed it in 2001 I came down to a choice of manitous or fox's but it was the first or second year they had been out and they weighed a fair bit more than the elites too... So I went the _wrong_ way :)

I'm watching price/performance/weight closely and I reckon I'm going to go for 2012 SID RCT3's or RLT's Depending on special offers/availability.... Looking out for Fox F100 FITs or DUrins but they are in shorter supply and priced accordingly...

Update on other items... all ordered
Crossmax ST's (2009 NOS)..£299 and I reckon a bargain vs eBay price/risk.
NObby Nic's x2
BB7s (£55 a pair new, so worth a punt before I go up market)
M770 11-32t

Just the forks to go....

And I think all the old kit will be going onto my 1998 stumpy m2...it will benefit from the hand-me-downs.

netgio":7qmq7c68 said:
suburbanreuben":7qmq7c68 said:
Magura Durins. They're currebtly available from Magura UK for £350, 2011 model, 100mm travel, brandy new

Got a link?...just looked and no forks in the magura.com online store and magura.co.uk redirects to venhill, which is all moto stuff.

BTW, my current rear shock is te stock Float RL, just serviced...the proposal idea is noted, probably further down the to do list though.
Yup , here ye go:

http://www.maguraspares.com/partsstore/ ... 64900.html

I believe this is part of Magura UK service dept.

I've had nearly a dozen Magura forks, and 4 or 5 foxes; I know which I prefer!

mallott":chs24pg2 said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54713

worth a look maybe?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67888

you'd get away with 120 mm travel.

How wide are your bars?

Bars are uncut monkey lites, probably quite narrow by today's standards.

I'm leaning toward ... http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... D-RCT3.htm
... Cheaper lighter and RCT rather than a Reba RLT....Or the Durin suburbanreuben suggested....

Mazzochi need to rebuild their reputation a lot... I've got some 98 Z1 BAMs that have been flawless from day 1 and still going strong (on the m2) but seen/heard too much bad news about Maz forks over the years since.

Them sids look a good buy, i prefer something a little beefier, less flexy especially on braking. Horses for courses though!

Bars sound ok i had carbon monkeys on my old heckler and they were nice. Wasn't sure if you were on skinny old skool bars.

BB7s are very good i have a set in the garage i'm considering swapping for my hayes.

Got a bargain on some new SID RCT3s off the bay...£292 posted. Not exactly retro but I'm :) :) :) and they are from a shop rather than of the back of a lorry :shock:

Will see how 2012 "flexy" compares to 2002 "stiff-ish". I'm not a heavy or particularly brutal rider (hence the superlight) so I'm optimistic. And I could probably sell them for a profit even if I don't like them....

Eagerly watching the door for signs of the postie now ;-)

Will post some before and after pics when it's "reborn".

Here she is....
6804239412_6eb0a2db16.jpg

Mod*rn updates;
Rockshox SID RCT3 (2012)
Kore carbon spacers
Crossmax STs
Nobby Nic 2.1 USTs
Hope Spinstix Ti's
Eggbeater 3s
Jagwire ripcords
Avid BB7s

A quick "before and after" weigh-in with the bathroom scales suggests she's about a pound lighter than before.

The SIDs are much stiffer than the Black Elites which must be down to the 32mm stanchions. More fettling required...you can probably see the travel indicator ring is almost at the crown :shock:

BB7s need time to bed in but not bad to start off with and the NObby Nic's are a revelation after the Cont/planar acer pairing I had before.

Anyway..thanks to all who made suggestions and comments....time to ride her now. The stumpy will be inheriting some of the bits but if you are in the market for some Black Elites, crossmaxs or Avid Ti's PM me.....

Back