My dream set of wheels (at long last)....but what are yours?

shaun

Retrobike Rider
For years I have always wanted a set of wheels built with red HOPE Ti hubs. So for my latest build, a NOS 1999 Kona 853 Explosif, I have finally got them at long last!

Firstly I decided on 32 hole Mavic 517 SUP rims, which I bought complete with Shimano XT 750 hubs in mint condition. I then spent months looking for a set of retro HOPE hubs in anno red.

Gave up and just bought a red front one and then a rubbish set of mixed rims came up with the dream set of mint hubs! :D

I bought this set and sold the first HOPE front hub.

Just collected the built final wheels today and I am very pleased. Bit of a hassle and huge expense getting them exactly how I wanted, but who said perfection was ever going to be easy and cheap. :oops:

Final spec:
Rims - Mavic 517SUP - 32 hole
Spokes - DT Revolution
Nipples - DT anno red alloy
Hubs - Retro HOPE ti in anno red

The revolutions save 100g over a set of DT competition spokes and the alloy nipples save 40g. I wouldn't normally recommend alloy nipples as they can corrode and stick, but for a custom light use build its ok.

Just weighed the front wheel and its 700g exactly - NICE! :D

What is your idea of a dream set of wheels?

Attachments

• Front wheel weight.jpg
    Front wheel weight.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,806
  • my dream set of wheels.jpg
    my dream set of wheels.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 2,806
Lurvely.

I've a set of red hopes (Ti glide/Fatso) with red Nips and 231s. They are nice aren't they!

Would have to be a set of White industries/Mavic 230 TIB for me... ;)

Oh, where did you get the Revs, and how much? :?:

My_Teenage_Self":1edh8pys said:
Lurvely.

I've a set of red hopes (Ti glide/Fatso) with red Nips and 231s. They are nice aren't they!

Would have to be a set of White industries/Mavic 230 TIB for me... ;)

Oh, where did you get the Revs, and how much? :?:

Thanks for you comments, these wheels have been well worth the wait.
My local wheel builder supplied the Revs and DT Nips. The Revs were 99p each and the Nips 35p each (but I had to buy a box of 100 nips though, plenty of spares now!)

Be carefull who you choose to build wheels with Revs as its harder and takes a lot longer than if using normal DT spokes. He charged me £25 per wheel to build, not bad I think as they are perfect. :D

ps I have Mavic 230s on two of my other bikes, and I agree they are very nice and very light. Decided on 517's this time as I simply love the shape of them.

I have the same set of Mavic rims, and I believe DT spokes and alloy nipples on White Industries hubs.. that I bought way back in the day.

The rims were looking very ugly from age and neglect.. so I took some Mothers polish to them and they look very nice now. Almost new. Same with my front White Industries hub...

Does anybody sell Mavic rim decals?

Had a set of these wheels but decided they just didn't quite go with the bike I had in mind for them so sold them on. My fave set of wheels are my White INdustries with Ti spoke and S-Works Z-21 Pro rims, lovely and light and roll beautifully. Not sure I have a dream set of wheels as such

Having had a set of these just with 217s since 95, all I have to say is - what excellent taste you have!

I'm sorry but there are some odd rim choices going on here... :shock: 217's I can understand I've got a pair (sunsets) built up on Hope Ti hubs long lasting great rims. 517's these were made outta the softest cheese alloy ever... lasted one winter of road riding before the braking surfaces were shot, hopeless I've never known a rim wear out so fast as a 517. 230 TIB these things can't resist pringles...

fuzzywig":13e3ojf0 said:
I'm sorry but there are some odd rim choices going on here... :shock: 217's I can understand I've got a pair (sunsets) built up on Hope Ti hubs long lasting great rims. 517's these were made outta the softest cheese alloy ever... lasted one winter of road riding before the braking surfaces were shot, hopeless I've never known a rim wear out so fast as a 517. 230 TIB these things can't resist pringles...

'Fuzzywig' you are 100% correct, these wheels were never designed to be an everyday all weather 'hack' wheel. There are plenty of stronger heavier Mavic wheels out there for everyday use.

At the time Mavic introduced the X517 it was what I considered to be the best mountain bike rim money could buy, but never the strongest or most durable. The X517 rim is made from Maxtal, Mavic’s proprietary 6000 series aluminum alloy. It is 21.8mm wide and weighs 395 grams. The sidewalls are machined parallel with small groves to improve braking performance.

'Dream' wheels, especially combined with REVS and alloy DT nips are never going to be an everyday wheel as the priority is light weight, looks, feel and race performance for pleasure use only on a superbike build.

I know this may not make sense to a lot of practical people out there, but its like buying a Lamborghini, the car is totally useless and hopeless as an everyday car, but is at the top of most peoples wish list as a 'dream' sunny Sunday pleasure car. ;)

'hack' wheel you offend me sir :D

IMG_1950v2.jpg

This is not a hack wheel... This was soon after it was built but it's still going strong still straight, still has life in the braking surfaces. Mavic 717, Ringle Superduppabubba, red ally nipples, revolution spokes, hybrid crowsfoot lacing. There was a reason for the 517's fast replacement... 717's are still going strong.

IMG_1949.jpg

the rear was a 317 stronger>NO heavier>YES... garbage rim! split at the join.

I'm not out to upset people but mavic upset me when I spent a fortune having a set of wheels built up with 517's only to have to scrap them after about 18 months, I leant to build my own after that, now I have lots of fun with hoops... I even rebuilt the Hope Ti glides with the 217's which were replaced with the 517's

ss003-1.jpg

ss004.jpg

Back