1996 GT Zaskar, where to start?

lookimg great! i admire your dedication, 4am is pretty keen :) good idea to keep the decals on, i reckon thats the way to go with this one

After getting my head down at 4:30am the early morning dog bark and subsequent walk in sub-zero temperatures weren't appreciated.

Just got back from buying some more Autosol (x2 just in case) and bought some Muc Off spray to start cleaning the heavy off the other parts.

Was about to buy bottom bracket removal tool and some other necessities but a few friends say they've got all the tools I need from their old bikes and hopefully donating them to me tomorrow.

Day planned I'm jealous! I've got to take her shopping,vac the house,washing up! Perhaps staying up till 4am on the bikes is not such a crazy idea!

Tc

scoopz":1q3b4y10 said:
After getting my head down at 4:30am the early morning dog bark and subsequent walk in sub-zero temperatures weren't appreciated.

Just got back from buying some more Autosol (x2 just in case) and bought some Muc Off spray to start cleaning the heavy off the other parts.

Was about to buy bottom bracket removal tool and some other necessities but a few friends say they've got all the tools I need from their old bikes and hopefully donating them to me tomorrow.

PMSL

top work fella

"christ is that the time " cuts to scene of bleary eyed bloke with black hands surrounded by mucky rags and a very shiny zaskar frame all except for one bit that needs more work

welcome to the madness mate

mikee":355r70gx said:
"christ is that the time " cuts to scene of bleary eyed bloke with black hands surrounded by mucky rags and a very shiny zaskar frame all except for one bit that needs more work
Pretty much how it happened, can't get the black stuff out from under my finger nails. It's probably bad if I admit to trimming the nails shorter than normal to prevent this though right?

OK couple of parts questions.

Well first up, I "accidentally" bought some forks on evilbay (perils of bidding whilst walking in hail on a slippy pavement) and I'm not even sure if they'll fit. Rock Shox Judy SL yellow. I'm sure I recall the SL's coming on the Zaskar LE at some point? I'm not too bothered about keeping the build absolutely retro and true to it's heritage but I'd like to avoid super modern parts if I can. So the Judy SL, from what I've found they are spring as opposed to elastomer in my XC (which are missing bits anyway) but will they fit and be any good?

Next up, brakes. I currently have cantilever ones but was going to get v-brakes or prefarably hydraulic rim brakes? Back in the day I used to get brake envy when I saw the luminous yellow magura hydraulic stuff, there seems to be plenty of HS33 yellow ones on evilbay and I'll check the FS section here too but will it fit, is it any good? Also, I've seen HS33 and HS33 Race Line? Differences?

Bottom bracket. I've not removed this and since there seemed to be some play in it will be getting a new one, anything to watch out for, non-standard size or any better than others?

Got to be SL's on it & xtr 950 suit it really nice!

4abcf5df.jpg

Tc

Tc":18nsaow3 said:
Day planned I'm jealous! I've got to take her shopping,vac the house,washing up! Perhaps staying up till 4am on the bikes is not such a crazy idea!
Trust me it seemed like a great idea at the time but after only 4.5hrs sleep and off out for dinner tonight I'm starting to regret it.

Late nights and all-nighters were par for the course when I was 16 back in 1996 but not now :shock:

Stay with it buddy - from one Zaskar nut to another. I have just finished mine and this is the result of some mad buffing work and TLC - RESPECTO my friend! :cool:

Attachments

• FIN.jpg
    FIN.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 737

Latest posts

Back