1965 Masi Special

Unexpectedly stunning bike. I really like that.

Love the red paint in the cut-outs. I will have to have a go with mine I think :)

Citoyen du monde":1v2qgfcl said:
Midlife":1v2qgfcl said:
Nice :)

We used to paint the insides of the large flange hub cutouts in the early 1970's (as well as the chainrings). Did yours come painted ?

Shaun

The red paint in the hub cut-outs is at least 40 years old. I don't believe Campagnolo ever did this at the factory. I can't remember where I recovered these hubs, I believe they were off a Hugh Porter from the 60's that died an early death when the brazing of the BB came undone. When I first started working on the hubs they looked exceedingly bad with plenty of oxidation of the alloy, however with plenty of elbow grease, steel wool, polish and time, they came out very nice indeed.

That's unusual, 'proper Hugh Porter's' were built by Woodrups and a failure for them is a rare event. Whatever, irrelevent to this thread.

I like the bike, typical early 60's build, reminds me of my early race bikes with an eclectic mix of components, upgraded as and when possible.

I have several LF Record hubs in 36 and 40 drillings which are in need of cosmetic TLC, bearings all seem fine. Strangely they are all rears, fronts seem to pass me by.

BTW, I think I know where there are a small stock of the black Universal adjuster rubbers - but don't tell anyone else :twisted:

Old Ned":j2jxkmwi said:
That's unusual, 'proper Hugh Porter's' were built by Woodrups and a failure for them is a rare event. Whatever, irrelevent to this thread.

I like the bike, typical early 60's build, reminds me of my early race bikes with an eclectic mix of components, upgraded as and when possible.

I have several LF Record hubs in 36 and 40 drillings which are in need of cosmetic TLC, bearings all seem fine. Strangely they are all rears, fronts seem to pass me by.

BTW, I think I know where there are a small stock of the black Universal adjuster rubbers - but don't tell anyone else :twisted:

I'll try and dig up a photo of the Hugh Porter, the BB failure was quite impressive. [I looked through my old photos and was not able to find the ones of the Porter, quite a pity as it was an impressive failure and good warning to those who neglect their bikes] The bike had been severely abused and frequently used during the Canadian winters, including with a Rogers trike conversion kit, hence in the slush and salt, and left out in the elements year round. The bike had been my friend's primary race bike when racing and had lived a coddled life. After stopping racing, it became his commuter bike and this is when the abuse began. He had used it for well over 20 years for commuting. Nobody can complain it was a bad bike or that it owed anybody anything. There was a small brazing void that might have contributed in a minimal way to the failure, but far more important was the lack of drain hole in the BB and total lack of upkeep. It was one of the worst cases of internal frame rusting that I have ever seen. My guess is that any frame subjected to the same treatment would likely have failed.

The metamorphosis of the hubs was truly incredible.

I have a set of NOS Universal gum-coloured rubber adjusters but felt that black ones were needed... so if you might be interested in a trade...

Back