1997 Santa Cruz Heckler: Updated Page 16

so i have a free afternoon and have got to work on the heckler :)
i have the old '99 swing arm removed from the frame, the pictures should demonstrate the issue ive had with it and the 'bodge job' i did with the mount :roll: ...... however its perfectly usable and in mint condition so if anyone wants to run a disk on their heckler/tazmon, just give me a shout and we'll work something out :cool:

Sean

Attachments

• DSCF6701.JPG
    DSCF6701.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,493
  • DSCF6700.JPG
    DSCF6700.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,494
Some pictures of the 2 swingarms together, looking elegant in the snow.... :D

DSCF6730_zpsc3195763.jpg

DSCF6728_zps406e1139.jpg

DSCF6726k_zpsf44a7be9.jpg

DSCF6725_zps96f8ff50.jpg

DSCF6724_zpse10907bf.jpg

Very nice/focused pics.

So the replacement one is older/more retro? I can't run disc on my 1996 Trek even if I wanted to. None of the aftermarket stuff will fit, not that I want to run disc.

dmccart2":3xyltvt1 said:
Very nice/focused pics.

So the replacement one is older/more retro? I can't run disc on my 1996 Trek even if I wanted to. None of the aftermarket stuff will fit, not that I want to run disc.

Yeah its 2 or 3 years older so I can no longer run disks but I wouldn't want to anyway.... It only adds to the 'retroness' (if that's a word) of the bike :)

Sean

Heckler

I'm not sure this isn't an earlier front end with a later rear arm that someone has fitted to accommodate disc's.
The later front end's with discs had a kinked down top tube also for clearance, this is straight, like the earlier models. Nice frame either way, simple design and still one of the best FS designs around.

Re: Heckler

Wold Ranger":2ostg79u said:
I'm not sure this isn't an earlier front end with a later rear arm that someone has fitted to accommodate disc's.
The later front end's with discs had a kinked down top tube also for clearance, this is straight, like the earlier models. Nice frame either way, simple design and still one of the best FS designs around.

well i dont know, thats what i thought... the front is a 1998 and the swingarm was a 1999 but when the donor frame arrived, its front tri was a 1996 but the swingarm was a 1997 so maybe thats just the way it was built.

also if you look at the earlier 1996 frame it has a kinked top tube

96Heck.jpg

when the later 1998 is straight :?

p4pb7264354.jpg

anyway heres some serial numbers from the remaining frame parts i have... first the 98 frame, the 99 swingarm, then the 97 swingarm

Attachments

• DSCF6738.JPG
    DSCF6738.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,362
  • DSCF6737.JPG
    DSCF6737.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • DSCF6744.JPG
    DSCF6744.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,362
Heckler

All a bit weird, have a small '97 on the way to my workshop and it has a down curved TT.
Maybe the earlier frames had this and the later ones the straight TT (Cost saving exercise maybe?)

Re: Heckler

Wold Ranger":35d4zmk8 said:
All a bit weird, have a small '97 on the way to my workshop and it has a down curved TT.
Maybe the earlier frames had this and the later ones the straight TT (Cost saving exercise maybe?)

well maybe they made both designs at the same time, or possibly on was launched during the production time of the other. from what i can see searching the forum and google, the straight top tube was introduced in 1997 and had the dropouts changed in 1998.

sean

Back