'96 Zaskar LE

jax13":3eknud39 said:
i wouldn't worry too much about an alternative crank throwing out the look of a matching group.

for me, if the mech's & shifters match, the brakes & levers match, you've got a matching wheelset & suitable finishing gear the rest will fall into place nicely & give a good looking build. there are a lot of factory spec builds out there already that will have full groups from hubs to mech's to levers and back down to the brakes so having something a little different will never be a bad thing.

I'd agree, to be honest (although I thought it was all M739 - but no idea with the cranks :) ). For me I bought this as a frame new and lugged the bike box a mile or two home up the hill from town. So I've never really had that 'factory group set' chip on my shoulder. Just kind of my bike really. The original rockshox only got fitted because they were on the Saracen first. :)

I kind of like the history that you aquire with a long standing bike as well. I know the rims don't match and I know why they don't match (best mate took the old sunset rim out on a pub car park by accidently riding in to me while stationery!) and also why the spoke nipples on the rear are weird (asked for purple but LBS, bitd, only had blue and red so they used those! :D ) Kind of makes it 'my' bike, tbh. Which I like.

petitpal":34dykr66 said:
merckx":34dykr66 said:
looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :LOL:

Thanks - get the brasso out on your LTS, give a tiny piece a polish and then remember, like I did, why you fell in love with it in the first place. Failing that give it me... I fancy a bouncy bike. :D

she's one of those black front, red rear ones :D. it needs some tlc and might be a long term project.. currently like yourself, i am in love with my zaskar, she is a 95. been riding it on the trails a lot recently. the short nature of the top tube frame makes it a real zippy type of bike to ride in singletrack. i put some wide 660mm salsa flat bars on it last week, it transformed the ride...so much fun.

merckx":1udx4dbi said:
petitpal":1udx4dbi said:
merckx":1udx4dbi said:
looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :LOL:

Thanks - get the brasso out on your LTS, give a tiny piece a polish and then remember, like I did, why you fell in love with it in the first place. Failing that give it me... I fancy a bouncy bike. :D

she's one of those black front, red rear ones :D. it needs some tlc and might be a long term project.. currently like yourself, i am in love with my zaskar, she is a 95. been riding it on the trails a lot recently. the short nature of the top tube frame makes it a real zippy type of bike to ride in singletrack. i put some wide 660mm salsa flat bars on it last week, it transformed the ride...so much fun.

Just a lovely ride really; it's a beautiful bike, very versatile, loads of fun and, let's face it, I've not seen any other make of bike with it's own 'offically faked' thread. Nuff said. :D :)

Just can't wait to get back out and about on it now.

edit: removing embarassing bits :D

Small update. Added a lovely, lovely M737 crank. Silver Mavic 217s on the way, so should have a matching wheelset just as soon as I learn how to wheel build... (anyone wanting to donate a nice purple ti-glide rear hub won't be shown the door) just busy trying to choose spoke nipple colours now. :) Here she is anyway...

Attachments

• feb 2012.jpg
    feb 2012.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 778
thats better ,see how the crank is less invasive , looks ment ?

now get out and get it mucky

mikee":1om95gcl said:
thats better ,see how the crank is less invasive , looks ment ?

now get out and get it mucky

Yup - was never happy with the M739 anyway, but came with the groupset I originally bought that got me in to this mess. M737 looks simliar to the LX crankset I used to have on there, but prettier. LX one is now on the wife's Kona... but that's a whole different thread. :D

orange71":f2f94vc0 said:
not often you see Pace on a GT for some reason. GT normally = rockshox.

Looks nice though.

Agreed! RC36 Evo IIIs on my Zaskar (see below pic link).

Looked good before but thats looking a lot better now :) , prefer it with the black tyres and without the bottle cage/crud catcher.

Latest pic - out in the Wyre forest last weekend. :) Happy boy, good times. And yes, I know opinion is divided on Crud catchers and the like - but I'm riding this thing, not just staring, and that's how I like to ride it so yah boo sucks. :)

(This is with matching rear wheel now (both 217s in silver with silver spoke nipples - my first wheel build and still going strong and true :) )

Attachments

• wyre_1.jpg
    wyre_1.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 620
  • wyre_2.jpg
    wyre_2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 620
Back