1996 GT Zaskar, where to start?

scoopz":37gmchp9 said:
Tc":37gmchp9 said:
Now get polishing & contact Gil for decals!
After an initial cleaning to get rid of the heavy polishing metalwork was next on my list, just trawling the forum now to find best combination. Just Autosol or combination Autosol/wire wool/brasso wadding?

Decals from Gil...<quick search> found him, thanks Gil_M I've bookmarked to contact shortly for decals.

Personally your decals look good to me: way better condition than mine. But I like the battle scarred look so whatever works for you. :)

petitpal":12hqjk6c said:
Anyway - polish, stare and dribble at a bit (like you did when you first bought it) and build it up in a way that does it for you. That's my advice. :) Good luck!

That should be the Retrobike motto! Well said sir!

Tc

Thanks petitpal for the detailed info. I've got some autosol already (for the car exhausts) so I'll just start with that and lots of elbow grease. I don't recall the frame ever taking a beating, any marks on it are probably from it moving from shed to garage to shed to loft in a box with all the other bits.

I don't mind the battle scar look of the stickers, I'm building it back up to use/abuse again rather than buying a new bike but part of the OCD demon :twisted: inside me thinks I need to polish under the stickers even though it'll never be seen.

I'll make sure I take some good before and after photos of the frame and try and keep this thread updated.

scoopz":55vyav5y said:
Thanks petitpal for the detailed info. I've got some autosol already (for the car exhausts) so I'll just start with that and lots of elbow grease. I don't recall the frame ever taking a beating, any marks on it are probably from it moving from shed to garage to shed to loft in a box with all the other bits.

I don't mind the battle scar look of the stickers, I'm building it back up to use/abuse again rather than buying a new bike but part of the OCD demon :twisted: inside me thinks I need to polish under the stickers even though it'll never be seen.

I'll make sure I take some good before and after photos of the frame and try and keep this thread updated.

You're like I used to be. Last year. Before I joined this bloody site. First thought... dig the old bike out, get a few miles on the legs, re-live the glory days. Then there was this rube of autosol... that I used to use on my Beetle bumpers and chrome. Next thing I'm stripping down Pace forks in the lounge and desparately trying to scrape enough cash together to buy a nice crank set. Heeeelllpppp mmmeeeeeeee... :D :D :D

(In all seriousness this site is full of some truely fantastic people: both in terms of how nice they are and also in terms of what they know. Well worth it. :) )

Tc":3pjnbpqu said:
What pedals you gonna use?
I think I'll try the Onza ones for now. They were the last ones I used on the bike, I haven't got a clue if they are any good or not though.

Prompted by your question (and as a bonus to me) I've just found my old shoes, SIDI Dominator II's I think and as a double bonus, they still fit and the ratchet still works.

Why do I get a feeling this retro bike building is going to get addictive and consume most of my evenings and weekends.

petitpal":3jf5tgjq said:
scoopz":3jf5tgjq said:

You're like I used to be. Last year. Before I joined this bloody site. First thought... dig the old bike out, get a few miles on the legs, re-live the glory days. Then there was this rube of autosol... that I used to use on my Beetle bumpers and chrome. Next thing I'm stripping down Pace forks in the lounge and desparately trying to scrape enough cash together to buy a nice crank set. Heeeelllpppp mmmeeeeeeee... :D :D :D

(In all seriousness this site is full of some truely fantastic people: both in terms of how nice they are and also in terms of what they know. Well worth it. :) )

WORD but replace beetle with MGB & you've got me!
Tc

petitpal":30v5s77z said:
Next thing I'm stripping down Pace forks in the lounge and desparately trying to scrape enough cash together to buy a nice crank set. Heeeelllpppp mmmeeeeeeee... :D :D :D
I've just nipped into the garage to try the autosol on a small patch, I couldn't wait, but it's -3°C outside so I gave up quickly but it looked good! Tempted to bring it in the house but down want to get onto that slippery slope on day 1.

petitpal":30v5s77z said:
I've stumbled across the site a few times over the last few months when I was researching whether the frame was worth selling or not but I put a post about the project out on twitter (@scoopz) and somebody from a local bike shop (@eccentricellis) pointed me to this forum, not sure if he's a member or not but you do all seem to be a very friendly and knowledgeable bunch :D

scoopz":2lx8o2z9 said:
petitpal":2lx8o2z9 said:
Next thing I'm stripping down Pace forks in the lounge and desparately trying to scrape enough cash together to buy a nice crank set. Heeeelllpppp mmmeeeeeeee... :D :D :D
I've just nipped into the garage to try the autosol on a small patch, I couldn't wait, but it's -3°C outside so I gave up quickly but it looked good! Tempted to bring it in the house but down want to get onto that slippery slope on day 1.

You know you want to. Just think of it: out there all alone in the cold. Poor thing. :twisted: :D

petitpal":3plp3w4l said:
You know you want to. Just think of it: out there all alone in the cold. Poor thing. :twisted: :D
<fingers in ears> Not listening! Not listening!</fingers in ears>

One little rub before bed can't hurt surely :roll:

If ever there was a great advert for autosol:

Latest posts

Back