1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

Right, forks are cut down and installed, as is stem bars and controls. Wheels fitted and brakes test fitted. It looks bloomin' amazing to me, but then I'm biased. ;-)

It's amazing - I've taken a huge amount of time and money to do this and I can't just throw the last bits on. Like the brakes - I've just noticed they are a bit mucky so I've taken them off for a full clean and spruce up. I'm not happy with the levers either. Aaaaarrgghh!!

Rob Atkin":28x5hzou said:
Right, forks are cut down and installed, as is stem bars and controls. Wheels fitted and brakes test fitted. It looks bloomin' amazing to me, but then I'm biased. ;-)

Pics or it didn't happen!!! :p

Rob Atkin":34mcwr51 said:

It's amazing - I've taken a huge amount of time and money to do this and I can't just throw the last bits on. Like the brakes - I've just noticed they are a bit mucky so I've taken them off for a full clean and spruce up. I'm not happy with the levers either. Aaaaarrgghh!!

I (we?) know how you feel! You buy a part that is in good condition. You're happy with it. Then other parts look even better, and the first purchase doens't look right for the build anymore! Or is this why the 'for sale' section is going like crazy? :D

URGENT! I need some new grips for the grip shift like the ones below but in red.

If anyone has any please help me out!!

f6a669b2.jpg

Rob Atkin":1xzuuhwo said:
FluffyChicken":1xzuuhwo said:
What have you done to that stem :shock:
It took me 14 years to get it into the condition I gave it to you in :LOL:

Sorry mate but it did look a bit shabby. The whole bike is rather smart so it'd be a shame to spoil it. We both know it's in it's rightful place now and restored to its former glory ;-) . I'm considering getting some decals made to match the original etching but it'll never look the same. Might take the ones I've put on off as I'm not sure about them to be honest.

Rob, please peel those decals off. If these are the same ones I came across on ebay, clearly they are poor repos. The "R" is wrong, as are the "O"s, the "K" is f*cked up and so is the "N".

As well if you are to put the logo on it, it should be maybe half to 2/3 the size you currently have stuck on there. as well as being centred on the stem a little better. ;)

I was with up to this point, but given how much you've been pushing for perfection, this is just wrong in my opinion. :(

just my 2¢ ;)

Trying not to be too harsh on you. Just got news from a local seller that he already sold the RM Experience he had for sale for $50!!! Can't believe I missed the ad posted last Thurs, didn't see it till now. :evil: :cry:

Mate - I took them off about 60s after I mounted the stem on the bike! They did look awful. The catalogue pic doesn't show any decals so plain black is how it's staying. :)

Sorry about you missing out on that frame. That sucks. :-(

Rob Atkin":15okg8af said:
Mate - I took them off about 60s after I mounted the stem on the bike! They did look awful. The catalogue pic doesn't show any decals so plain black is how it's staying. :)

Sorry about you missing out on that frame. That sucks. :-(

Good that you came to your senses. Thought that I might need to take action and hop on the next flight over the pond to snatch the RM from your hands. ;)

So what's the hold up??? Need a progress update. This should be built by now! :LOL:

No worries, I'm still working to close on another deal. :)

Nearly finished, just the brakes to set up, but I need new bolts for the stem and brakes, plys some minor details to get right.

In order to get the wheels as per the original I have just ordered some NOS Shimano Deore DX hubs, the wheels are a bit new on it at the moment but they will be reliable for the Lakes ride. I'll also change to thumbies for the Lakes ride for reliability and until I can get the Gripshift grips sorted.

In order to give some people an idea of how much something like this costs to build I started up a spreadsheet, I wish I hadn't.... as so far it has cost me £830. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I already had about £200 worth of stuff included in that price but I admit it was an eye-opener when I did the sums.... :( :( :( :?

Back