tyre help

Any reason you want such a fat tyre for your commute on the roads?

A narrower tyre will weigh less & have less rolling resistance, I'd not go over a 2.0" & would prefer a 1.5"-1.75" tyre for pure road use

I'm a big fan of Schwalbe tyres, but your choices aren't what I'd use for a commuter bike

I'd look at City Jet's, or Marathon tyres in a 1.5" or 1.75" flavour

dirtydozen":zb4655ll said:
i thnk thinner ones will look daft on my bike. G
They may look a little odd, but a bike is for riding especially when it's a commuter.

It's your choice but I know which I'd chose, the lighter easier rolling tyre for sure.

Do you know if the larger tyre will fit in your frame & forks? Some of the larger tyres (>2.3") may have very little or no clearance

i have 2.2 on it now and have just managed to squeeze some 2.5 on my other but had to trim a little of the outter tread off so though a 2.35 would be ok.

I know what your saying but i dont do that many miles on it if im honest

i have used specialized hemisphere and Michelin country rock, both roll well the mich is narrower and no puncture resistance but for £7 they are good tyres

the spec were the armadillo type

I have a pair of almost new Continental City Contact in 2.1 flavour if you want. I'm looking for £18 posted.

I have used the Big Apples in both 2.0 and 2.35 width, and TBH they're not that good.
I got a lot of punctures with both versions, and the 2.35 ones (I went through 3 full sets) all had carcass issues. You could really feel them moving from side to side under hard braking and cornering, even at pressures close to 60psi.
Tyre life wasn't that great either. The most I got out of a rear Big Apple was 2000 miles before I felt that it really became unsafe, and I wasn't even locking up the rear brake or anything.

If you really want a road legal tyre, the Tioga City Slicker or Schwalbe City Jet will do just fine.
IMO the 2.2" Bontrager Hank is a lot better, but I have already had several arguments with the local police over it, so I doubt you'll want that for a commuter bike.

I have a set of the Michelin Country Rock on my Claud Butler and they roll really well and are quite quick. Going to transfer to my Hardrock when I sell the Butler.

Back