Fitting formula caliper to Manitou , any ideas??

Here it is fitted, have no way of machining the adaptor.

The discs are matching 165mm, and like you say it the rear was 140mm it would fit.

Calipers look the same ??

2012-02-02102331-1.jpg

ok, post out of sequence but surely you mean:

retro73":2r6v56ps said:
the above adaptor is the one that i needed for my forks BUT it still does not allow me to fit my formula caliper as they foul on the lower section and will not allow the bolt to align up with the bolt hole.

Are you saying the outer edge of the disc rubs on the calliper body? I seem to recall you mentioned you have 165 mm disc - most set ups are usually for 160 mm so there is 2.5 mm difference in radius - a pair of M6 washers would move the mount out so the disc does not rub (I had to do this on a friend's bike for this reason).

..... seen your photo - you have opposite problem to ^^^^ in that you want to move the calliper in further hmmmm......

Have you tried putting the adaptor on the right way round yet? It's upside down. You will also need a bigger disc.

If i turn the adaptor around it will hit the disc, and if i flip it round the caliper will not fit between the fork leg and the adaptor as it creates a a small gap ??

Very confusing and possibly not meant for fitting to any other bike than the one it came on i think the seller said it was a scott??

After trial fitting about 10 times and buying numerous adaptors i have had enough as it must be easier to buy a different brake set like avid or hope or similar.

Thanks for all the advice and help :D

unfortunately the adapter is right way round - other way the bolts would be on opposite side and probably foul the disc.

the adapter needs trimming to move the calliper in, see below.

BTW - you could make your own adatper from 2 pieces of 8 mm angle aluminium and then a third piece bolted in between. Tools would be vice, saw, file and ideally a drill press for right angle holes but you could get away with a hand drill.

Attachments

• adatper.jpg
    adatper.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 362
For the last time, the adaptor is on upside down. Just rotate it 180 on the same plane and bolt it on.

2012-02-01223727-1.jpg

if he does flip it though the main body of the adaptor would hit the disc non? the only way to flip it and not hit the disc would result in the cut out for the calliper facing the fork leg rather than the calliper body surely?

Dr S":19ihshyp said:
For the last time, the adaptor is on upside down. Just rotate it 180 on the same plane and bolt it on.

there's is photo above showing why this cannot be done.

rotating around axis parallel with the axle means the semicircular bit puts the calliper too far out.

rotating around axis at right angles to the axis means the offset lugs would put the calliper on the outside and the bolts, as they screw into the calliper and not the adapter, need to go from the RH side. Even if by some miracle the calliper is centred over the disc, the bolts will almost certainly foul the disc.

Think I might be able to help - took some Formula brakes off a Manitou fork on a mates bike, still have the adaptor but it was for a 185mm disc

Will post some pics later so you can compare, problem is the width of sweep of the pads on those brakes - much wider than current so can't mix & match with modern discs

Back