Fitting formula caliper to Manitou , any ideas??

I have a formula pm is disc adaptor and it doesnt fit with the 160mm disc fitted and will not fit wether the disc is bigger or not as all the bigger disc will just push the caliper further out.

The caliper is on the disc with the pad either side of the disc in pic, i just wondered if anyone knew of an adaptor that secures to the manitou forks and has an offset mount to allow it to secure to the caliper.

Dave :D

retro73":r7am17mx said:
I have a formula pm is disc adaptor and it doesnt fit with the 160mm disc fitted and will not fit wether the disc is bigger or not as all the bigger disc will just push the caliper further out.

Dave :D

The caliper needs pushing further out though- it can't fit between the posts. As I said earlier, they look like 7" post mounts. Even with a directly fitted PM caliper you will need a 180mm rotor, so that rotor is too small whatever caliper you use.

Please mount the caliper to your adaptor and then fit it to the fork with the wheel removed. Then take another couple of photos for us or we will be here all week. Also if you can tell us what model fork you are using it might help us help you. A few measurements wouldn't go amiss either.

Si

The adapter i linked looks like one of the holes would sit just inside the mounts and the other out a little.

The rotor is 165mm my adaptor fits to the caliper but it only has holes on one side so i cannot secure it to the fork leg, the forks are Manitou Mars Super.

I only placed the caliper between the fork mounts so you can see the holes for the caliper clash with fork mounts.

Sorry for all the questions but i have never had disc brakes before. And didnt realise about adaptors and is and pm

Thanks dave

2012-01-30194426.jpg

2012-01-30194502.jpg

It all depends Ken. We still don't know what adaptor the OP has. Not all Post Mounts are the same you see. The spacings are the same yes, but the distance from the fork centreline can be different- it allows a direct mount of caliper onto a fork for a given rotor size. For example my Magura Forks have a 7" Post mount, whilst my 55 Bombers have a 6" post mount. Both forks have needed different adaptors to mount the same caliper over the same sized rotor.

From what I can find online, and presuming its a 2001 model year, then that fork has a 6" mount in Magura Speak or confusingly a 73mm mount to everyone else. That being the case the OP needs to get a 6PM to IS 180 adapter and buy a 180mm disc.

Without knowing what adaptor the OP is trying to use, we can't help him out. I have asked a few times now.

We might get there in the end.

2012-02-01223805-1.jpg

2012-02-01223727-1.jpg

Thanks for all your help, the above adaptor is the one that i needed for my forks BUT it still does allow me to fit my formula caliper as they foul on the lower section and will not allow the bolt to align up with the bolt hole. So will sell the disc set up and then buy a different make.

As the rear also needs an adaptor or a smaller disc

2012-01-30194812-1.jpg

The first two i bought before realising i needed the adaptor to allow for it being over to one side, so more than just a different sized disc was needed

2012-01-30213821-1.jpg

Thanks again Dave

don't despair just yet.

forks - are you able to hold the calliper in place to show us how far out it is and where it fouls?

you can use shims/washers beween the calliper and adapter and also if need be between the adapter and fork mounts.

are you able to machine the front adapter to shape? how does the one you bought compare to the AZ adapter you linked to in an earlier post?

rear - the frame looks like standard IS mount - is the calliper IS mount? what size disc do you have on the rear?

usually IS rear with IS rear calliper is for 160 mm disc but using IS front calliper allows running of 140 mm disc.

There are IS-IS rear adapters to allow running of 180 rear disc and possibly 203 mm disc.

Are both callipers same? Usually the rear calliper has longer lugs so maybe you have them back to front (unlikely but previous own may have assembled them that way for some specific purpose).

The expensive part of any disc brake system is brake levers and callipers, you can get a decent new brake disc for £ 15 on ebay.

ok. That's better.

In the first pic-the silver adaptor... I think it's not fitted the right way round. I think it's upside down or back to front. That's why it doesn't fit and the caliper won't sit over the centreline of the disc.

The other pic- the black formula adaptor is completely the wrong one. That is 'IS to PM'. You need PM to IS.

Back