First Post - First Retro Build - Specialized Stumpy S-Works

ecsnsmb

Retro Newbie
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Was just at a warehouse shop/garage that was literally filled with vintage frames and bikes. I couldn't believe my eyes. I walked around for a good hour, picking things up and smiling and putting them down. AND THEN, under a pile of rusted through beach cruiser frames, I found a ~94ish (?) Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works M2..

I got it for essentially nothing and am now embarking on a restoration/race bike project. I am planning on modernizing it a bit, but retaining the retro glory that frame still has in heaps. So pretty. I've always wanted one of these.

Anyway, first things first, I am going to strip the paint off it. Unfortunately, ontop of the of the green flaking paint are beautiful S-Works/World Champs colors decals. Can I get these made elsewhere? Will this detract from the glory of it? I'd really like to put some of these back on, along with the era-correct Specialized decals.

Build Ideas are as follows:
Single Speed with XTR M952 Cranks and HBC Ring
Fox 80rlc or the like.
Disc up front, M952 V- out back.
Thomson/King
Paul Hubs/Mavic 517's

I will racing on this bike; mainly XC/Endurance. Any suggestions in terms of build? I will be posting pics soon.

Thanks in advance! Stoked!

Cheers,
Ecsnsmb

Hello from another new one, and good luck with the build, it sounds great! Judging by your plans for using the bike, I wouldn't get too precious about the stickers..

Would love to see some pics of it!

And there are some guys on here who can do some decals for you. I could recommend Gil_m and BobCatMax! ;)

Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses! Found out via the serial number that it is a '98, so not as vintage as I thought, but still super stoked! The rusty BB/Headset cups have since been removed and it is ready for the paint to come off. I plan on leaving it raw Alu and hopefully get the same World Champs color S Works decals back on her. I love them. The warehouse situation is in New Jersey, US.
Will keep everyone updated as parts come in! Just curios, does anyone know the seat collar size for this guy? 34.9?
Cheers,
Ecsnsmb
DSC02748.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

nice find! the decals won't be a problem, you'll get that sorted out. Just contact the guys mentioned by stumpjumper1990! Seat post collar is 34.9 indeed, and it takes a 30.9 mm post.

Latest posts

Back