estate agents fees

:LOL: :LOL:

only had to deal with esate agent twice , and always a bad experience .

it is so much easier , and safer in france .

have to admit that Im (generally) not a fan...

When I bought one of my properties it was a cash sale and should have been no problems.....a few weeks went by and there was nothing done by the agent until I called them.. daily :LOL:

Seemed they thought I was messing them about as I didnt want a mortgage on it.

I had to take all sorts of bits from the bank into them and then I had accusations of money laundering!

:eek:

in all fairness it is the all , estate agent , solliciters etc... which is a nightmare .

speedplay":3zicn4ez said:
I had to take all sorts of bits from the bank into them and then I had accusations of money laundering!

You can get some agents who are over cautious.
Trouble is we have to act in accordance with The Money Laundering Regulations 2003, The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Terrorism Act 2000 as amended by the Anti-Terrorism Crime and Security Act 2001, so strictly speaking before we even put an offer to a vendor (let alone instruct on a sale) we must obtain proof of ID and proof of funds for any cash transaction.

Haggle and offer a quick sell bonus. I got my place valued by a number of guys, took the fairly high end quote and offered 1% with a .25% bonus if they sold it in 2 weeks - it sold within 2 weeks.

Rates were fairly low in my old area as you couldn't walk down the street without tripping over an agent though.

Make sure you know what you're getting for your money though: newspaper ads, website inclusion etc and pay accordingly

The problem I've always found with buying & selling houses is that there are so many people involved it's easy to delay the process, and if one side wants to do that, there is precious little you can do about it (unless you are the seller with a number of potential buyers wanting a quick sale). Unfortunately for the agent, it's generally their name that gets tarnished.

I bought a place in a student town and wanted to delay the process to get nearer to the start of term to minimise my chance of leaving it empty. The solicitor and mortgage agent both offered to "take it slow" and were happy to take the blame, to the extent the said they were happy to be called by an irate buyer.

Likewise, when selling a place, agents have offered to slow the process up when it suited me.

It's a market, and people use all kinds of tactics. It's what happens.

Personally, I think that other countries have better conveyancing processes (I think it's Scotland where offers are legally binding; Australia you have a certain time to complete).

As a seller, you're currently in a strong position to negotiate terms with an agent - don't be afraid to ask.

Back