Orange Clockwork Prototype???

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I know it looks a bag of bawls in the pictures but I think with a good clean up and new parts it could be refreshed like my Tufftrax was.

With a bit of luck I can get some info from SW as I've had a good few chats with some of the blokes up at Halifax and can email them directly ;) Be interesting to find out what went on.

Tbh I never thought I'd find a hand built Clockwork, so if this turns out to be one it can quite happily retire to my collection if it can't be brought up to a useable standard. Show's all those hours trawling RB/STW/Preloved/bikesoup/ebay etc are worth it in the end. :cool:

clockworkgazz":zm6pm292 said:
Loving this thread, hope we get some more info on what looks like a really interesting bike.

Agree an excellent find & buy :D

Echoing what others have said - that's a great find.

It's almost like a bit of fate, because far nicer bikes have been thrown in the tip, and yet this hasn't. :? :cool: :cool:

Cheers gang. Not had time to do any digging yet but a build/resto thread will happen in time and I'll keep you up to date with what I find out. :D

Right, bit of an update. Still have not found out exactly what's going on with this one but am beginning to doubt it's a hand built frame as I've found a serial number on the seat tube.

Looking at other Clockworks from around 89/90 this frame does have some different features that would suggest it may be some sort of prototype though (front mech cable routed under bb instead of a noodle on the bb + other differences). The down tube is wider then the top tube/seat tube and I can't remember my others being like that? The forks also seem to be a bit chunkier then others I've had and the stem not like other Orange ones from the time. I'm leaning towards it being a limited run from the factory to test certain ideas, maybe then given to employees to test? The proto decals were obviously fitted at the same time as the usual ones as they have dated just the same. Very confusing. :?

I've stripped it down and degreased and the paint's come up better then expected. Seat post's stuck for now but I've not tried very hard to free it. The stem was also stuck but came free with a little effort.

Anyway, finding the serial number has made me lose a bit of interest as it's got a bit too much patina for me to use as is and I'm not really in to repaints atm so think I'll move it on. Hopefully the new owner will be able to get to the bottom of it's history.

Attachments

• clockwork 033.jpg
    clockwork 033.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 535

Latest posts

Back