Vitus mountainbike overview

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Scans of the quirky French bikes :D Vitus was of course most famous of their lugged aluminium road frames. In the hey days of mountainbiking they also introduced a lugged mountainbike frame and when welding became a more common technique also a welded model was introduced. Both count as quite unique and rare. In this topic featured: both the CL1 and SC1!

Vitus CL1 in the 1992 Jan Janssen catalogue:

vitus922800.jpg

Jan Janssen is a bicycle brand in Holland by Jan Janssen. Jan Janssen is an ex pro and the '68 TdF winner. Janssen brought the Vitus frames with the his decal sticked on it on the Dutch market.

CL1 features:
- lugged and bolted construction
- quirky seatpost clamp (like with Cattlehead or Ringle ahead stems)
- gear cables run hidden under a removeable plastic cover under the down tube
- rear brake cable runs hidden under the top tube
- squarish top- and down tube
- option for both canti (seat stay) and U-brake (under chain stay)
- anodized tubing

SC1 is the 1992 Jan Janssen catalogue:

vitus921800.jpg

SC1 features:
Like the CL1, but...
- welded
- conventional seat post clamp
- no U-brake option

In the 1993 catalogue:

vitus93420h.jpg

The detail pics show the lugged fork and the XTR option.

In the 1994 catalogue:

vitus94800.jpg

Now shown with welded fork for the SC1.

Two ads from early 90s AllTerrainBike magazine issues:

JJVitusCL12800.jpg

VitusSC1ad800.jpg

Pics of the frames by myself:

84567997_119767ad8e_b.jpg

84567995_8649f239f1_b.jpg

329996330_4a7cc31f44_b.jpg

Many more pics of the SC1 HERE

vitus mountain bikes

I used t o own a Vitus E stay bike that I got from a Hyper marche in Calais in 1992.
It was steel framed and not that well finished, dark green with chrome forks. the groupset was a mix of XT and LX.

e-stay :shock:

steel frame :shock:

I know Vitus made decent steel tubing in the past. The steel e-stay frame is complete new to me. I keep learning every day overhere.

What is striking as well is that it was poorly made and that you got it from the supermarket. Makes me think it could be puting a decal on a generic frame. Driven from marketing perspectives by the supermarket and Vitus got money for it.

vitus

gee, never heard of vitus!

good looking bytheway.

how long did they exist under the Jan Janssen name?

Is that some kind of bump absorbtion in the seatstay just behind the seatpost?

I see they still exist in france: www.vitus.fr
They use they same frame (Vitus Run) as American Eagle did with the carbon flex chainstay (Amercian Eagle Ligtning 890).

Re: vitus

obi-wan-mtb":2jydgtov said:
gee, never heard of vitus!

:roll:

;)

Vitus is an early alumium pioneer. I think already in the 70s, with the 797 roadbike. They used the bonding technique instead of welding. Welding alu frames wasn't a well developed technique back then. Frame tubing wasn't really oversized giving the early road frames 'a lively' feel. They were light. They were raced to many victories.

good looking bytheway.

Total agreement here :) They look interesting and have an own signature.

how long did they exist under the Jan Janssen name?

To avoid misunderstanding: You mean how long did Jan Janssen carry Vitus frames in its line up? Vitus did also exist separate from Jan Janssen.

I do not know exactly during what period Jan Janssen carried Vitus. The bulk Jan Janssen sold was of course roadbikes.

Is that some kind of bump absorbtion in the seatstay just behind the seatpost?

No, it is a cover. No softtail this frame.

I see they still exist in france: www.vitus.fr
They use they same frame (Vitus Run) as American Eagle did with the carbon flex chainstay (Amercian Eagle Ligtning 890).

I have no idea what they have to do with the old Vitus. Doubt whether they are the same company.

Btw there is a CL1 on Marktplaats currently, but it is in disguise. Painted in a very ugly red with modern parts and decals of some shop in the Randstad.

Elev12k":13f5otkc said:

I know Vitus made decent steel tubing in the past. The steel e-stay frame is complete new to me. I keep learning every day overhere.

What is striking as well is that it was poorly made and that you got it from the supermarket. Makes me think it could be puting a decal on a generic frame. Driven from marketing perspectives by the supermarket and Vitus got money for it.

I Still have one of these Vitus e stay bikes which has now been re-furbed and re-finished as the Dark green was way to morbid for my liking. again it was purchased in france in the early 90's.

One thing I will say about it is; its the most comfortable long distance MTB frame have riden. My farther even borrowed it for marathon races surendering his Kona Hei Hei.

The Vitus is having another refurb at presend. but will post some photos if anyone is interested.

Matt

Matt205":3ta6rz6s said:
Elev12k":3ta6rz6s said:

I Still have one of these Vitus e stay bikes which has now been re-furbed and re-finished as the Dark green was way to morbid for my liking. again it was purchased in france in the early 90's.

One thing I will say about it is; its the most comfortable long distance MTB frame have riden. My farther even borrowed it for marathon races surendering his Kona Hei Hei.

The Vitus is having another refurb at presend. but will post some photos if anyone is interested.

Matt

I'm interested! :D

SC1 frame with Mavic - Chapeau :cool:

My French is not so good. What is conclusion of the test? Are the people told they have to run to the LBS for it? Pros & Cons?

Bought a golden post for my CL1 project last week. It is going to be very nice. Tres chique.

Hi,

My Vitus E-stay as mentioned above is still in the process of being refurbed (good things come to those who wait). I did notice the the other owner of this bike mentioned that it was poorly finished. seems strange as mine looks like its hand brazed. which would explain the comfortable ride.

I do have a photo somewhere i'll try and dig it out.

When originally purchased it came with a full Deore DX groupset + XTR rear Mech.

photo will follow hopefully

Matt

Back