Very Stiff 1998 Rock Shox SIDs (stiction)

bryanus

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I have a near pristine set of 1998 SIDs in the classic blue. They came on my Zixang, which I removed and have had tucked away for a couple years now.

I'm now thinking cutting off the crown and putting on a 1" Judy crown so I can use it on my Bonty.

I checked the air pressure last night and to my surprise, both legs still held around 50 psi, which is about what my weight range suggests according to the manual.

I topped them off, and pressed down on the steerer, but they feel like they have a lot of stiction, meaning it takes a lot of force to initially compress the fork.

Reducing the air pressure helps a little bit, but not by a lot.

I've never used these forks before, but have had plenty of Judys with Englunds and later model SIDs, neither of which seem to require this much force to compress initially.

Is this normal behavior for the '98 SID? I'm wondering what could make them feel more plush. Perhaps a firmer negative spring?

Can anyone also comment on the '98 SID vs a 2003+ SID Race or Team with Dual Air?

Thanks.

Thanks Fluff! I'd actually given them an overhaul before I stored them, with fresh oil and a good cleaning.

I wasn't aware that they had some adjustability in the air piston, so maybe I'll give that a shot first before completely tearing them down again.

lift the wipers and drop some lube on the seals, same with the oilring foam and do you adjustment. I've not had SID's but they should still be smooth action I would have thought (I know air's are usually higher in stiction)
Still adjusting the pressure shouldn't be needed if it's fine through the rest of the travel.

I would guess you should go for a ride on them and they'll bed in a bit.

Th only other thing I know would cause excessive stiction would like what happen with my JUDY last winter, the stanchion and bushing 'blew' and corded :( so at the initial point they're a bit rougher.
Luckily when sat on the bite the sag when sat on them takes it away from that point hopefully if I use them again I'll not notice it much.

Hey, I think that fixed it! I took the top caps off as shown in the guide and inserted an 8mm allen key and turned the piston counter-clockwise; that "increases the air in the chamber and makes for a more linear spring rate and plusher ride."

Mine seemed to be screwed all the way in.

There seems to be noticeably less force required to compress the forks now.

Thanks so much!

Just wanted to say Thanks again. I went even further over the weekend and did a full rebuild and cleaning. I adjusted the Negative spring from the middle position to the [lowest] most plush setting, and also adjusted the rebound damping from full in (closed) to 2 turns out. The fork feels like new.

That guide was great.

carter711":jxrkep7q said:
silicon grease inside the seals and silicon spray on the stantions an also help.

But don't make the mistake I did and search for silicone lube on ebay while at work.

Back