1991 Alpinestars Cro-Mega DX Rebuild/Restoration

What a beautiful job - great example of before and after paint jobs... I'd stick with the original forks but it's only my preference.

As for "might be my last restoration..." famous last words mate. When you're perusing eBay for the bits you need for the Alpinestars and a cheap frame and forks comes up, well. Silly not to... And if you find yourself with left over bits from the Alpinestars, you'll NEED another project, otherwise it's a waste of good parts. See?

(Note to Moderators - under the "Retrobike" logo on the homepage, please replace "if it's old school, it's in" with "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." :twisted: )

The guys from Argos Racing Cycles did a good job :shock:
Looking forward to more updates and pics (please let the original fork on it) ;)

Rich34 is absolutely spot on you are now hooked my friend :LOL:
Can't wait to see this one finished and welcome to the CroMega club
We ought to have one make meets as well as National rides or combine the two perhaps might be fun ;)

Thanks, everyone, for the nice replies: it's much appreciated. In response to those who mentioned the forks, I'll be retaining the rigid originals (and will use the Manitou's on something else at a later date).

And 'no', I didn't have to pay for the broken vice (I did offer to though).

When it went 'bang', James (In-Gear's shop manager) and I looked at each other, and then at the frame (expecting to see it in two pieces). When we realised, after a split-second, that it was the vice that had failed catastrophically, our reaction was indeed a mixture of laughter and incredulity.

And the moral of this story is "always grease your bottom bracket"!

i wondered who this belonged to! i saw it at Argos when i was last there and thought that it looked awesome!

well done, and nice save, when argos did my muddy fox courier comp i knew it wasn't a financially correct decision but that's no the point with this stuff.

:cool:

WOW was i asleep when all this was going on........brilliant mate, just brilliant, love those pics..........., :cool:

Back