Snowdon or bust: Retrobike Raid - Poll added...

Official Retrobike raid on Snowdon viability?

• Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Interested

• Open to persuasion

• Total voters
Dr S":15dbit2f said:
We_are_Stevo":15dbit2f said:
Also, why should a group of responsible mountain bikers be any more vilified than the countless numbers of inappropriately garbed walkers who do the trip every day?? We seem to be classifying ourselves as victims here before the idea has even got off the ground! :

Because to most walkers, us mountain bikers, responsible or not are all the same- idiots. It's the same in the busy parts of the Peaks, despite being on a legal trail and riding with consideration for other users, we have been show hostility by the red socks and fask brigade. It's hardly any wonder though, we have seen some right tw*ts out on bikes, riding like they are being timed down a DH course through the middle of families. These people are the ones who are damaging our sport, not us, but to a walker we are all the same.

I'm not saying don't do it, just think about what you plan to do and it's long term impact.

Si

I totally agree with you there Si, but surely just because there are idiots around shouldn't stop us. In fact it's probably best to go and show how respectful and nice we can be to promote a good view of MTBers.

I was talking to my wife last night about this - when I was riding in the Peaks 20yrs ago there were a lot of people with hostile reactions to bikes so you had to be very careful. I don't think it is nearly as bad now, I havent had any moans or complaints since I restarted riding MTB's this time around - conversely I've had encouragement from walkers to make it up steep bits and lots of friendly "hellos". Now it's being more accepted I think MTB's are more likely to be welcomed by all than vilified.

The ban on the riding on Snowden is more about the safety aspect rather than anything else. Unfortunately it's a heavy foot traffic route from Llanberis which also happens to be the fastest downhill bit. I don't think many people moan about the voluntary ban as its the best for walkers and MTB'ers.

Plenty of folk do the Snowdon early morning raid - no reason why we can't!!

Rob Atkin":6m6nrkti said:
In fact it's probably best to go and show how respectful and nice we can be to promote a good view of MTBers.

That's what I was going to say...

Also can't help but comment every ride on how differently we're received these days - friendly walkers and jealous-looking dads all over the place, hardly a miserable face on the hills any more :cool:

[/rose tint]

We_are_Stevo":3rndb8lf said:
Also, why should a group of responsible mountain bikers be any more vilified than the countless numbers of inappropriately garbed walkers who do the trip every day??

I completely agree Stevo, but you're missing the point.

We can't change the current situation regarding mountain bike access on the Snowdon bridleways. It's a popular route with walkers so it's understandable that mountain bikes are restricted due to the potential for incidents.

The point I'm trying to make is that a large group, no matter how well intentioned and behaved, will not necessarily be perceived as such.
That's why I've suggested sticking to a smaller group which doesn't have everyone emblazoned with a club or website logo.

In terms of an 'Official Retrobike Raid' it's an unfortunate choice of location to propose.

If anyone does decide to approach the National Trust (not the National Park) I know a good man who can smooth things out. :cool:

drystonepaul":5ljbxo3a said:
We_are_Stevo":5ljbxo3a said:
Also, why should a group of responsible mountain bikers be any more vilified than the countless numbers of inappropriately garbed walkers who do the trip every day??

I completely agree Stevo, but you're missing the point.

We can't change the current situation regarding mountain bike access on the Snowdon bridleways. It's a popular route with walkers so it's understandable that mountain bikes are restricted due to the potential for incidents.

The point I'm trying to make is that a large group, no matter how well intentioned and behaved, will not necessarily be perceived as such.
That's why I've suggested sticking to a smaller group which doesn't have everyone emblazoned with a club or website logo.

In terms of an 'Official Retrobike Raid' it's an unfortunate choice of location to propose.

Well if Snowden is a poor choice then the Peaks should be a no-no too - much higher density of walkers than anywhere in Snowdonia, especially Mam Tor/Edale area. Isn't it still the busiest National Park in the UK?

Even with 10-15 riders (which I think we would struggle to get for such a ride) it'd be fine - we would be outside the peak time for walkers anyway (that's the whole point of the voluntary ban). In fact I think it'd be quite an event!

elPedro666":184lsnzh said:
Rob Atkin":184lsnzh said:
In fact it's probably best to go and show how respectful and nice we can be to promote a good view of MTBers.

That's what I was going to say...

Also can't help but comment every ride on how differently we're received these days - friendly walkers and jealous-looking dads all over the place, hardly a miserable face on the hills any more :cool:

[/rose tint]

No need for the rose tint - that's my experience too! Loads of people Conrad chat to you about where you've been, how much your bike was etc.

Come on people let's do it! All you doubters - Nick Crane would say "shame on you"!! ;-)

Dr S":2sxa3ttp said:
We_are_Stevo":2sxa3ttp said:
Also, why should a group of responsible mountain bikers be any more vilified than the countless numbers of inappropriately garbed walkers who do the trip every day?? We seem to be classifying ourselves as victims here before the idea has even got off the ground! :

Because to most walkers, us mountain bikers, responsible or not are all the same- idiots. It's the same in the busy parts of the Peaks, despite being on a legal trail and riding with consideration for other users, we have been show hostility by the red socks and fask brigade. It's hardly any wonder though, we have seen some right tw*ts out on bikes, riding like they are being timed down a DH course through the middle of families. These people are the ones who are damaging our sport, not us, but to a walker we are all the same.

I'm not saying don't do it, just think about what you plan to do and it's long term impact.

Si

Which, to my mind, is why we should make an official Retrobike event of it...

...and to do that we need to drum up the interest so that the organisers know it's worth doing :cool:

FWIW: back in August I saw more Crocs than Red Socks on the Llanberis Path! :shock:

Rob Atkin":364i3jo5 said:
Well if Snowden is a poor choice then the Peaks should be a no-no too - much higher density of walkers than anywhere in Snowdonia, especially Mam Tor/Edale area. Isn't it still the busiest National Park in the UK?

Even with 10-15 riders (which I think we would struggle to get for such a ride) it'd be fine - we would be outside the peak time for walkers anyway (that's the whole point of the voluntary ban). In fact I think it'd be quite an event!

As far as I am aware though Rob, there isn't anywhere in the Peaks which is subject to an official voluntary ban.
The land owners and manager's around Snowdon are in a much stronger position should they wish to apply for a permanent ban on bikes using the BWs due to already having the voluntary ban in place.

Therefore I wouldn't recommend taking, or being part of, a large group of bikers up Snowdon at any time, regardless of whether it's a Retrobike ride or not.

I'm also often hesitant about taking, or being part of, large groups of bikers anywhere in the countryside. But you can minimise impact by having a clear group management strategy.

There is of course a lot less to consider with a smaller group, which is why I've already recommended it.

Anyway. Hey ho...

That's all very well, but we are then effectively discriminating against ourselves!

I don't recall anyone ever saying there shouldn't be a constant gaggle of walkers on the LLanberis Path every day?

To put it into perspective the Snowdon Mountain Railway carries 54 passengers up to the summit at a time, all day long; even the largest gathering of Retrobike riders couldn't match just one train-load!

The only way to win hearts and minds is to demonstrate a positive image - something that Retrobike would have no trouble achieving... :cool:

Go on, you know you want to...

Bike_Snowdon.jpg

Back