Mystery Hubs...?

fliier

Dirt Disciple
OK guys. Test your old school parts knowledge...?

Do you recognize these hubs?

These were part of a wheel set which I disassembled. Laced up to Mavic 517 rims, about 1997 vintage +/-. Very light! The free hub body is labled Shimano Hyper Glide C. No other markings except some parts numbers on seals and a washer. Very high quality machining!

The original owner had the hubs powder coated yellow to match the decals on the frame before having the wheels built. By the time I got them the braking surface was pretty worn and the yellow on the hubs looking a bit tatty. Thanks to the protective properties of powder coating, other than depressions made by the spokes on the flanges, the hubs are fairly pristine after stripping and polishing... Nice!

Any ideas... :?: :idea:

Attachments

• SAM_1110.jpg
    SAM_1110.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,765
  • SAM_1119.jpg
    SAM_1119.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,765
  • SAM_1121.jpg
    SAM_1121.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,765
  • SAM_1122.jpg
    SAM_1122.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,765
No one

Really? No guesses...?

Not playing stump the dummy. I don't know the answer either... :oops:

Even if is just a hunch and nothing definitive, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

My first guess is the powder coat is standard and they are HUGI hubs.
But I've never seen one other than in pictures and some blow-out diagram while looking for Ti-glide info.

?

Humm... Thanks FC, I never really considered that possibility. Hugi would be cool, that I stripped the original yellow powder coat... not so much. :cry:

Still no printing of any sort on top of the yellow powder coating. Could have been decals that had come off long ago...

Hubs

Sharp eye there FluffyChicken... Thanks for the bird dog!

I've been hunting around online for older DT HuGI 240 hubs. The front looks like a good match, the rear hub shell shape is not quite right. Still, after looking at numerous DT replacement parts, I'm convinced that they are DT hubs. The design of the internals matches up exactly...

Apparently there were two version of the 240, 95/97 and 98/99. I've been able to find several pics but none are quite right so I probably have pictures of only one style or I may have a different series, 340 ie...

Attachments

• dthugi240hubs.jpg
    dthugi240hubs.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,681
  • SAM_1122.jpg
    SAM_1122.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,681
Wow! You nailed it...

Very impressive guys! Old school maestros... You nailed it...

I'm only bummed now because I realize that stripping the hubs was a mistake... :(

I suppose I could always have them redone if I wanted to go back to the original look. Might be tough to find decals... I take it Sunn was/is a French company. Are they still around?

The picture is pretty true to color. That's just what they looked like sans decals...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sunn Brubz 3.jpg
    Sunn Brubz 3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,608
  • SAM_1122_2.jpg
    SAM_1122_2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,604
Ah, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen a few come up for sale and they rarely go for a lot. I'd hazard most aren't aware what they are underneath the yellow and stickers; they look much nicer polished!

The rear should make the distinctive Hugi ratchet buzz :cool:

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not getting too wound up about it. Funny I never considered that the yellow might be a factory finish. Oh well, they do look rather tasty in the high polish and they sound good too.... :D

I stripped and polished the frame they came with.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182787

Guess I should just build them back up and put them to work...

Anyone have a nice set of rims...?

Thanks again!

Back