Surly Moonlander

saltyman":301342js said:
FST4RD":301342js said:
Looks like fun :D

Where are your helmets? :?

:oops: Sat at home.....my bad

:LOL: At least your out and riding! And on a bike like that! (I'm a little jealous... actually a lot!)

What would be cool would be if Surly did a version of this or the Pugsly like the Kona Ute! That would be super awesome!

Moonlander looks real fun :)

Do you find it makes a huge difference over the Pugsley tyres, can't see it making that much even though the tyre is quite a bit fatter

Guess they both float as well over the sand, will be interesting to see how much more stable it feels on the sands

I spend my whole time riding no handed on my Pugsley when I get it on the beach, they are just so stable

All you need now is some snow :)

Went back out alone today to test those BFLs on the stickier tidal mud and flood lands, really messy stuff.

The tires were at 6 psi, never stopped but spinning too much, if the tire was rotated opposite way and dropped to 5 psi it would be much better.

f842dc1f.jpg

The stickier heavy tidal mud and sand mix causes havoc, even with fat bikes, pugsley can't handle this as well as the moonlander, dropped to 5 psi, but despite sinking when you stop, it simply rolls out and picks up speed, floating along really well.

3e3d22e1.jpg

Soon as you stop, it sinks, low gear, pull out and again, flotation does the work......

00460c39.jpg

Went to local bike shop on the way home as he's interested in fatbikes, DC cycles, Ulverston, good gossip and also turned my rear tire around for free.

4233877d.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what 5 psi, and reverse BFL does tomorrow.

I was surprised at the low pressure already in the tubes, I never checked the pressures, simply built the bike and rode it. I'd of guessed they'd be 15-20psi as they were solid, surprised when we checked at the shop.

gil_m":1c1ulzjh said:
Moonlander looks real fun :)

Do you find it makes a huge difference over the Pugsley tyres, can't see it making that much even though the tyre is quite a bit fatter

Guess they both float as well over the sand, will be interesting to see how much more stable it feels on the sands

I spend my whole time riding no handed on my Pugsley when I get it on the beach, they are just so stable

All you need now is some snow :)

I'd say 98% of the time, a normal fatbike is just as good.

Ps: stickers are ace, thanks mate

New pics today showed where my pugsley would suffer....really soft muddy sand, but apart from that it's just the same over rocks, and everything else so far.

The flotation the clown shoe provides to tires is great though, I'm very keen to stick a set of nates I have lying about on the moonlander and give it a good bog test.

For now though, it's fine, beach riding is its game at the moment, doesnt look like a snow test will happen anytime soon, so time will tell.

Running 5 psi on this bike is like running 15 psi on the pug, it's strange, it can handle 2-3 psi I reckon, lower gearing means it will climb anything if you have the legs.

What's the difference between a Moonlander and a Pugsley? The frame/fork weights seem quite similar on their website.

Agency_Scum":1vmn86pn said:
What's the difference between a Moonlander and a Pugsley? The frame/fork weights seem quite similar on their website.

Basically, the main things...,

Pugsley:
65mm rims
3.8" tires
Swappable wheels, ie rear can fit front etc
Normal 3x9 gearing

Moonlander:
100mm rims
4.7" tires
Lower gearing from 2x9 groupset
Frame designed with huge clearance and also has more bosses for racks etc
Lighter as a complete bike

stubbsy":32l1vles said:
nice pics buddy

stubbsy :D

Cheers, you need to get more up ;)

Lucky to have a few nice places nearby here....

Marshland and wet sandy tidal basin - 1 mile away
Gravel beach, with nice long stretches - 3 mile away
Sand dunes and soft fluffy sandy beach - 7 mile away

Plus grizedale forest and the mountains are just up the road if I fancy it ;)

More fun tomorrow....

Back