Snowdon or bust: Retrobike Raid - Poll added...

Official Retrobike raid on Snowdon viability?

• Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Interested

• Open to persuasion

• Total voters
drystonepaul":19sv04pl said:
Of course you should ride it on a retro bike and preferably a fully rigid one.

Any more talk of using a modern bike and I'll delete this thread and refer you all to STW.

Please NO! I am so sorry, dont make me go back to that hell hole. :-D

Argh now I can't make my mind up. Maybe I should take my Cape Wrath instead, but I was really looking forward to trying out my gringo on the serious stuff. Will I get a banner if I take my cape wrath?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Surprisingly little interest in such a venture so far...

Everyone raves about Mt Tam and Moab, etc, but ignores the most picturesque piece of single track on their own doorstep (UK members that is...); why :?:

Even if I end up having to walk my bike most of the way up when I do get around to doing it (note when, not if...), at least I'll be able to admire those stunning views from the saddle before I hurl myself back down again... :D

I'm not too proud to admit that, having stunned my kids by running down the Ranger Path in August, I know I couldn't ride down the 1/2 mile steep, rocky stretch once you get off the grassy slopes just down from the summit...

Create a weekend of it, with camping and people will come if they can. Make sure it's not too cold though or raining much

i'd be up for this subject to my work rota matching the dates you decide upon. i'd make a roadtrip of it and hit coed y brenin etc before or after.

The voluntary bike ban on riding Snowdon's bridleways runs between 1st May to 30th September.
This means that, during the summer season, you shouldn't be on the designated bridleways after 10am or before 5pm.

snowdn_volun.gif

The red dotted BWs are the ones affected by the ban, so basically the Llanberis and Snowdon Ranger Path which form the classic up and down route. The black dotted Bwlch Maesgwm (Telegraph) bridleway is unaffected by the ban and usually forms the return leg of the loop if you start in Llanberis.

Anyway, this of course restricts when you can and can't ride there. Either outside the ban periods where the weather can be unpredictable, or inside the restriction period, necessitating a dawn start or evening ride. Both options make timing critical. The weather can still of course be just as unpredictable.

To be completely honest, based on the sensitive nature of the voluntary ban I wouldn't recommend taking a big group up Snowdon.
The impact of such a large group could, in my opinion, be negatively received by other trail users, land managers and National Park Rangers.

It's logistically and politically much easier/better to tackle Snowdon in a small and low key group. I wouldn't like to go there in a group of more than six riders.

Good article here btw: --> http://www.planetfear.com/articles/MTB_ ... _1110.html

Excellent article in the link... :cool:

With regard to the 'sensitive' nature of the whole thing I would imagine an approach by the Club would receive a favourable response as it would imply an organised event involving responsible people rather than something all together more antisocial??

I would hardly imagine anyone baulking at the spectacle of a bunch of middle-aged enthusiasts engaged in a colourful and slightly painfull day out compared to the hundreds of Hikers every day of the season... :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":1smysyhb said:
Excellent article in the link... :cool:

With regard to the 'sensitive' nature of the whole thing I would imagine an approach by the Club would receive a favourable response as it would imply an organised event involving responsible people rather than something all together more antisocial??

I would hardly imagine anyone baulking at the spectacle of a bunch of middle-aged enthusiasts engaged in a colourful and slightly painfull day out compared to the hundreds of Hikers every day of the season... :LOL:

I think they expect a bunch of riders at the afternoon watershed to be waiting to go up. The morning ride at dawn in summer I would love to do - as the descent down Telegraph isnt part of the ban it gives you a bit more time to do the ride. Also the Ranger path isn't nearly as well used as the railway path so going up next to the railway at dawn would mean you see very few people, then descending down Rangers/Telegraph when the walkers start to go up would be ideal.

Informing the authorities beforehand would be a great idea - reassuring them it is well organised with 1st aiders and qualified folk, plus that we wouldn't be racing or careering down on DH bikes would be a great thing, and show a lot of respect for the tough job they have to do.

A big group waiting at Llanberis at 5pm would be conspicuous. Chasing the light at the end of the day on a big mountain isn't something I like - if there is an injury or severe mechanical I'd rather be breaking the ban in the morning (which if there was a problem I am sure the local park rangers would understand) than have the darkness descending upon me with a broken leg or a snapped frame.

If you've not been up before don't think it is in any way easy, just because there is a railway. It's a long way to go up, and very technical/rocky on the way down. If I did it I would certainly be finding myself some suspension forks for the RM - just to help with arm fatigue or crash avoidance rather than to be able to go faster.

BUT saying all that, if you are on the top on a clear day it is one of the best views in the UK, just stunning, and worth every problem you may have to overcome to be able to get there.

Lets DO IT!

Latest posts

Back