NWA: Delamere Forest ~ 04/02/2012 - POSTPONED

Recce

I've not been in the forest for a month or two but will go and have a recce on Saturday and check out the extent of the work.
At the best of times it is a difficult place to navigate around without criss-crossing so a circular route would be difficult.
The cafe is good and serves some smashing cake and the pub at the end of the ride will be enough of an incentive for me.
Does anyone fancy joining me on Saturday?
Either way I'll let you know what I've found - It is usually pretty muddy (in a peaty kind of way) once you're off the fire roads.

Attachments

• 26092010081.jpg
    26092010081.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 470
As someone who knew Delamere well (lived on the edge of the forest for over 7 years), I think you'd struggle to find more than 4 hours riding around/within it and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone driving more than an hour to get there.

Suggest you meet at the Forest cafe which is along Station Rd towards the forest from the Abbey Arms pub, turn left in front of the station and drive down the straight road, over the hump and voila.

I'll try and make this but won't know until the Friday.

Recce & rethink

I went for a recce in the forest this afternoon and it isn't pretty.
Mr Kawasaki is right, it would be difficult to find 4 hours riding in the first place. Having ridden there today, I would think that at least 1/3rd of our usual trails are unridable. The fire roads are all ok but a good chunk of the fun stuff is either torn up by heavy plant or covered in cuttings.
I really think that it would be advisable to give it a miss and maybe choose an alternative venue if there's time?
The pictures below show two bits of what was our favourite single track :twisted:

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 433
Hmmm? That doesn't look too good. Not sure whether it's worth the journey over there if things are as bad as that.

I'm happy to sort out a ride near me if necessary. I have some routes ready in Macc Forest, Hayfield or Chapel en le Frith area.

What do you all think...?

drystonepaul":ssw246v3 said:
Hmmm? That doesn't look too good. Not sure whether it's worth the journey over there if things are as bad as that.

I'm happy to sort out a ride near me if necessary. I have some routes ready in Macc Forest, Hayfield or Chapel en le Frith area.

What do you all think...?

Im happy to go wherever, just put the newly painted stem back on my Rockhopper Comp, so my bikes ready to go.

Back