1939 Raleigh Record Ace (RRA)

Spokesmann":3odocptl said:
Simply gorgeous. I love the Dynohub!

Very impressive indeed not to mention very HEAVY! This sucker must tip the scales at 5 lbs. More amazing that many of the classic long distance records won by RRA's in the mid to late 30s by riders like Sid Ferris, Bert James and Charles Holland were with these 12 v. dynohubs and AR/AM three-speed hubs giving a built-up weight similar to mine here of about 34-35.5 lbs. These were darned tough and hardy cyclists! The 8-volt (very rare and only built c. 1939-40) and post-war 6-volt dynohubs were rather lighter.

I am rebuilding this now with a 1930s period correct time trial wheelset with Conloy sprint rims, the original 32-spoke Raleigh hub that came with this cycle as built (radially laced front wheel which RRAs had) and AR close-ratio three-speed hub in the back. Will post pix when she's back on the road in that configuration.

Oooo blimey that's lovely. I'd give my right arm to see some shots of it in action. How niec is that spearpoint shape to the front of the mudguard? There's not a detail anywhere on it that isn't easy on the eye...

I just completed a time trial build-up of this '39 RRA as an alternate to the previously posted "club" build.

This was basically changing the wheelset to one using rare pre-war Conloy alloy sprint 700c (or 27" as they called back then) 32/40h rims. Front wheel is radially laced (as all RRAs were) to the original Raleigh racing hub with "R" wingnuts. Rear wheel is laced to a rare Sturmey-Archer AR close-ratio three-speed hub: this was the same hub used by the record breakers Sid Ferris, Charles Holland and Bert James in 1937-39 sponsored by Sturmey-Archer. I bought this hub nine years ago with the hope I'd eventually find a 23" pre-war RRA to hang it on to!

The difference in ride, handling and above all, weight, is astonishing: from 35.5 lbs before to 26.1 lbs and she flies now, just a thoroughly satisfying ride.

More photos and details here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9157103@N0 ... 776394551/

Attachments

• 39 RRA tt.jpg
    39 RRA tt.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,227

Latest posts

Back