Surly Moonlander

Stop posting stuff about these silly silly bikes with stoopidly fat tyres. There not making me more curious with every pic....

.....honest :LOL:

poweredbypies":r5fuedrs said:
Stop posting stuff about these silly silly bikes with stoopidly fat tyres. There not making me more curious with every pic....

.....honest :LOL:

you got to give it a go, they are mental :shock: in the late 80's everyone was saying the same about mountain bikes :roll: but these really could go up mountains (if my heart and lungs were in better shape :roll: )

stubbsy :D

pics dont do it justice........it dwarfs the pugsley :shock:

is silly the size, and im used to fatbikes, just wasnt expecting it to be this big.

rides great, very basic build, much quicker than pugsley, everything was already bolted on, so only took me 30mins or so to sort it and copper grease a few bolts.

12 miles across cycle tracks and roads etc today, letting the rubber settle before dropping to 5-6psi for the beach next week :cool: :cool: :cool:

even managed 32mph on a hilly section :oops: :LOL: was ok though.

brakes already biting, so wont be long for full power.

positives so far, compared with pugsley:

MWOD cranks are awesome, gearing is sweet and designed around crawling, though top speed for hard tracks isnt too badly effected.

love the microshift thumbies, precise and just 100 times better than rapids or gripshift.

no negatives towards the larger offset frame, (28mm), despite the larger q factor, still easy to ride.

the width of the 4.7'' tires on 100mm rims is crazy, this thing will float over sand, cant wait to try it.

only grumble, is the front wheel isnt offset, so you cant swap for rear in an emergency, but thats ok.

weights:

20'' pugsley, racks, and extras - 41.8lb
20'' moony, with extras as pictured - 36.8lb

-5lb lighter, yet its so much bigger :shock: :D

looks ace, what does it weigh in at? Also what's it like with such a wide q factor or whatever it's called when you have a wide bb and long axle? Do you have to adapt your riding style to be a bit bandy legged?! :shock:

q factor has been explained as no worse than wearing walking shoes on a normal mtb rather than thin cycling ones.

basically i cant tell the difference.

if i ride my normal mtb then a fatbike, its the same to me. no matter the miles etc.

i have to try one soon. Ironically was in swanage, home of charlie, summer 2010, but didn't realise he was based there at the time...

think he has sold all the moonlanders already, despite getting them 2 days ago.

he has a pugsley as a test bike, very few shops have a fat tester.

i cannot tell people how much fun they are, i always encourage people to try it out.

saltyman":6po39aeu said:
i cannot tell people how much fun they are, i always encourage people to try it out.

+1 i was a fat virgin 2 days ago, i will not go back fat is in my life forever

stubbsy :D

Back