1991 GT Karakoram

spacehopper

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Won this NOS frame from ebay a couple of weeks ago so starting off a thread as parts are coming together now..!

I'm rebuilding this as a replica of the bike that got me into mountain biking back in 1995 ish.. as I had a 91 timberline Frame that had been resprayed in a very similar paintjob to this..

I searched for a while for a 16 inch Timberline frame from 1991 (to respray) but nothing really turned up that was any good..
And then i spotted this on ebay! a quick look over and knew this was going to be the starting point of the project..

as im rebuilding a replica of 'MY' GT i've sold off most of the NOS stuff that came with it.. wheels... bars.. tyres.. to help fund the rest of the project.. :) and it will be built back up with the same or as near as possible parts i used to run..

anyway... heres a couple of pics of the frame..

6685987187_cefc523a8c.jpg

6685987747_7e238c50c4.jpg

6685988257_f50c0e2012.jpg

6685988769_ea6653678d.jpg

first job is to restore some odyssey sharkbite pedals...

not in the best state when i recieved them... loads of bearings missing and quite a lot of pitting on the axles.. wish i had waited another day or so before buying them as a nicer set popped up on here the day i recieved them! but... restoring them to their former glory is all part of the fun and very satisfying..!

Managed to get one done yesterday.. cleaned up the axle and body as well as i could... popped in some brand spanking new stainless ball bearings and grease.. some NOS Red cages and its almost as good as new..!

will try and get the other pedal and front brake cleaned up and polished this weekend :)

6686004625_c00dba5335.jpg

Old on the left... restored on the right... ;)

EDIT: I'd forgotten about the brake levers...! theyre the find that really started me off as i didnt ever think id find another pair of these.. i can still remember buying them for £6 from my local bike shop.. they transformed my riding as i'd previously been riding with some old plastic and massively flexy levers from the raleigh MAX that came before this bike..

6401328591_2fff73b261.jpg

theyre polished and gleaming now.. :cool:

Our kid had one of these BITD......Until he rode it into a milk float.

I might ask him if he's still got the frame with bent forks in his garidge.

Nice find :)

That paintjob was called Blue widow, iirc. I'm in the process of restoring a team avalanche with the very same paintjob.

finally managed to get this built up..! think i might have to change those yellow grips though... lol

6772446779_f24b0f1562_z.jpg

6772445257_b0992880e7_z.jpg

6772444399_35a655e1fe_z.jpg

6772446027_822cb38873_z.jpg

pretty much the spec i ran it as...

Frame: GT Karakoram 91

Fork: Rockshox Quadra 10

Headset: STX threaded
Stem: GT Originally a black alpinestars
Handlebar: Club Roost go fast
Grips: yellow ;) onza ules

Brakes: Front LX - V-Brake Rear Shimano U-Brake
Brake Levers: Kona

Shifters: STX 7 speed rapidfire
Front Derailleur: LX originally a tourney from my raleigh max!
Rear Derailleur: STX
Cassette: Shimano 7 speed
Cranks: STX
Bottom Bracket: UN52
Pedals: Odyssey Sharkbite

Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: STX-RC
Tyres: Modern Maxxis orginally a grey tioga psycho TT on the rear and a ritchey omega bite (i think) on the front

Saddle: Concor lite Cro-Mo originally a specialized with rails made of cheese
Seatpost: Brand-X originally the one from my raleigh max.. i had to wrap electrical tape around it to make it fit as i couldnt afford a new one!

Back