Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dynatechrider's Raleigh Dynatech Torus XT

• yo-Nate-y's 1991 Fat Chance Wicked

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maxipedia":1aconrv6 said:
Oh, and excuse my direct way, but sometimes I wonder why these polls are here, because voting is pretty close-minded. When I say that, I mean isn't some Klein, Yeti, Fat Chance or Ritchey garage queen gonna win it by default??? Why even bother? I don't mean to offend anyone, but since I am browsing Retrobike, I found so many cool bikes, so many cool people and so many incredible build stories that are ten times better than a BORING Klein in a Dolomite spray or the odd period correct Yeti with all the "right" parts bolted to it.

I have great respect for all the brands listed above and for this community, but that's what popped into my head when I saw this poll and I hope that just for once the perfect Klein won't win. I know a lot of users will know what I mean by that. Please don't take it personally!

Have a great one!
Mx
Um, I'm far from being an elitest, but I'm not getting this?

Sometimes there's some entries that are far from run of the mill, that get entered - and at the end of the day, it's a popularity vote. And meant to be a bit of fun, too.

Look at Bushpig's entry, this month - far from being something you'd see every month.

Now I don't know what will win. And if I'm truly honest, I don't really care. The vote can be entertaining, there's nearly always some damn fine bikes that even a middle-of-the-road guy like me can appreciate.

And that's the thing - appreciation - every now and then the BOTM competition teases out some bikes you'd probably never see. To me, that's the fun thing. The surprise thing, is when I end up voting for something I'd probably not normally choose.

than a BORING Klein in a Dolomite spray
sorry but that statement does'nt make sense.
i've never seen a boring klein.
just my opinion. no offence meant.

out of all the bikes above the klein is the one on my wish list in a large size. with pedals.

I think if you look a bit harder you can find a decent range of bikes winning.

And a prime example of a garage queen bike with money thrown at it that didnt win was Audi-allroad's black Klein, and the rather amusing hissy fit he had when it was beaten soundly by a lovely Ritchey. I see he's wheeled out another one for this month.

My vote goes for Videojetman's Pace as the epic build thread beautifully showed someone going from purchasing the wreck off eBay, taking a big chance on it, then restoring it bit by bit, gaining knowledge and skills along the way (and a growing obsession for getting it done properly). Well done!

Maxipedia":3kl4ljd9 said:
You can copy and paste to view the cool Zaskar which, by the way, I voted for. I know it's difficult, but it's worth it.

Oh, and excuse my direct way, but sometimes I wonder why these polls are here, because voting is pretty close-minded. When I say that, I mean isn't some Klein, Yeti, Fat Chance or Ritchey garage queen gonna win it by default??? Why even bother? I don't mean to offend anyone, but since I am browsing Retrobike, I found so many cool bikes, so many cool people and so many incredible build stories that are ten times better than a BORING Klein in a Dolomite spray or the odd period correct Yeti with all the "right" parts bolted to it.

I have great respect for all the brands listed above and for this community, but that's what popped into my head when I saw this poll and I hope that just for once the perfect Klein won't win. I know a lot of users will know what I mean by that. Please don't take it personally!

Have a great one!
Mx

All I was referring to was voting predictability. Of course it's a popular vote, but one can have opinions even if they are not the most popular (sic) ones, right?

One of the first things that I have been very interested in, when I began checking Retrobike was the BotM poll. Now I don't have any statistics, but my impression (which may or may not be correct) is that every time one of this, say, cliche bikes pop into the poll, they win it by default. I don't have a big problem with that, but I think it would be refreshing to see something else than the usual win. You don't have to agree with me. Maybe I just have some sort of "fan of the underdog" syndrome, who knows... :)

I love Kleins and Yetis; what's not to love about them? But sometimes the appreciation they receive is exaggerated. I hope the Yeti Tribe won't kill me if I say that bikes are in the end just bikes and shouldn't be treated like a religion. Which, of course, is completely contradictory to being here on Retrobike in the first place. ;)

The best will win, with or without my unpopular opinions!

Mx

Maxipedia":124u8m46 said:
All I was referring to was voting predictability. Of course it's a popular vote, but one can have opinions even if they are not the most popular (sic) ones, right?

One of the first things that I have been very interested in, when I began checking Retrobike was the BotM poll. Now I don't have any statistics, but my impression (which may or may not be correct) is that every time one of this, say, cliche bikes pop into the poll, they win it by default. I don't have a big problem with that, but I think it would be refreshing to see something else than the usual win. You don't have to agree with me. Maybe I just have some sort of "fan of the underdog" syndrome, who knows... :)

I love Kleins and Yetis; what's not to love about them? But sometimes the appreciation they receive is exaggerated. I hope the Yeti Tribe won't kill me if I say that bikes are in the end just bikes and shouldn't be treated like a religion. Which, of course, is completely contradictory to being here on Retrobike in the first place. ;)

The best will win, with or without my unpopular opinions!

Mx
I think you're either misguided or lacking some history in terms of BOTM victors - either that, or polarised a certain way and won't see past it.

Go look at previous results (yes, there in the archive forum) there has been surprises and upsets.

We can all have a certain perspective, and I'm far from fawning over exotica or bikes of distinction - but all the same it's a popularity vote, and so may it remain.

Whether the bikes I personally prefer, win, or lose, does not matter to me, really, one jot (occasionally there may be the odd bike I think deserves to do well, or have been disappointed in not doing better, but all the same...). I think the competition is healthy in bringing out many bikes for appreciation.

We all have different tastes, but surely the incentive to show these bikes and be able to see them is a good thing? If the so called "cliched" or expected bikes do normally win, then so what? They're obviously what most who vote, want to win.

Neil":1yvjgfk1 said:
We all have different tastes, but surely the incentive to show these bikes and be able to see them is a good thing? If the so called "cliched" or expected bikes do normally win, then so what? They're obviously what most who vote, want to win.

Fair enough! This is what I was trying to say in the last post, but in other words. And sure I appreciate the fact that we can see these bikes. As it it a good thing that people can share opinions.

isn't some Klein, Yeti, Fat Chance or Ritchey garage queen gonna win it by default???

It's far from a foregone conclusion.

A small but potent line-up this month, much to like :)

Maxipedia":80mggxvs said:
Neil":80mggxvs said:
Fair enough! This is what I was trying to say in the last post, but in other words. And sure I appreciate the fact that we can see these bikes. As it it a good thing that people can share opinions.
Hey, nobody likes to see mid range bikes more than me - but point(s) being:-

a) it's not all about what I want - something I'm sure we could all do to learn at times
b) the competition seems to encourage some true innovation, variety, nostalgia, or obscurity (all good things IMO)
c) BOTM competitions, and indeed this forum, would be quite boring if all that got displayed / discussed were mid-range bikes - variety and a full spectrum, at least for me, is the flavour of retrobike for me

I couldn't agree more! Maybe my perception is twisted still being kinda new to the forum. High-end bikes will always get their praise because these admiral ships are more likely to have made impact to our collective memory, so I don't worry about them. I don't see Retrobike in danger of being flooded my the mid range; quite the opposite in fact. It brings a smile to my face when I see a Marin Bear Valley, Kona Hahanna or GT Palomar (just to name a few) here on this site and it proves that good things don't go forgotten easily.

I'll drink a beer to your idea of a full spectrum! Cheers!
Mx

Latest posts

Back