Rusty, cracked frame... bottom bracket removal

poolio

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
I have a c91 Orange Clockwork...

main.php

Anyway, I was having a wee tinker t'other day when I noticed to my horror that there's a "rusty crack" poking through the paint at the base of the main down pole, just above the bottom bracket... :(

I've been advised to

1) remove the bracket and have a root around to see the extent of the corrosion / rust.
2) If it's not too bad get it welded.

Queries are...

1) I believe to remove the aforementioned I'd need a bottom bracket bolt thingy and a crank arm extractor?... can someone advise on dimensions of the bottom bracket bolt? (or what/where to measure from/to).

2) Anyone know any good frame welders in Stockport / Manchester?

Thanks
JP
list]

Terminal damage...?!?

Well... managed to bend the arm of the socket set trying to get that pesky BB out, I used an old handlebar as a lever, plenty of WD40 and tapped it with a hammer - but no dice... might try a bit of heat later (old camping stove?)

Didn't read the previous "how-to" link before trying to loosen the plastic side - oops... bit cracked now...

Wire-brushed and sanded back the area in question, not really that much visible rust on the outside, there is a hole however, which suggests a reasonable level of internal corrosion... here are a few snaps of the area of damage... what do you think.. terminal or weldable??

I've got a feeling it's probably partially corroded internally... and the recent runs down the Llandegla black runs put a bit too much tension on the frame causing the crack... weldable?

Here's what happens if you use the tool on the plastic side first...
Think it might still be salvageable...

main.php

That's not weldable (well, not to make a decent job of it anyway) - the only real cure is a new seat tube and that would cost more than the frame is worth.

Find another one that's been looked after a bit better.

You can just break the plastic side up to get it out.

Are we looking at the seat tube here? It's steel, so everything's reparable, it just depends on how much you like the frame/are willing to spend as it probably won't be economical. Take it to a frame builder. They might have to replace the tube as it looks too far gone to be plugged.

Edit: beaten to it by Andy R.

Yup, bottom of the down tube

main.php

feedback's not been too promising... I've ordered a different BB tool this week (the Icetoolz one I've got you can't get a spanner onto, and I've bent my socket set handle), once I've got that, hope to get inside and have a look at how bad the corrosion is... if it's localised to the bottom of the tube, can I just chop out and replace the bottom 5-10cm? Or do you have to put a new tube in..??
I've got a theory that a reservoir of water's been sitting down the bottom of the tubes, slowly rotting through... could be a sad voyage of discovery... watch this space... :(

Latest posts

Back