SURLY Pugsley black ops FAT BIKE

They are not as slow as you'd think!

Getting used more and more in xc races these days, they are quite a niche bike for muddy and rocky events.

These are used in endurance events 500mile and 1000mile epic ones at that, they are bombproof but still have to shift over all terrain.

Everyone is surprised at how well they ride, never had a person ride mine and hated it, quite the opposite.

They are heavy When you see the figures, but are now getting down to 27lbs for suspended Ti models to 35lb for the full fat steel moonlander I just got!

Seems a lot but it ain't when you ride them.

Only thing people go wrong on is tire pressures.......

Do the squeeze test to start with, sand and gravel beaches and snow you need to be around 5-8psi, harder ground still only takes 8-10psi and you stick and absorb the ground like nothing else.

had my first ride today,

did about 10 miles,

couldnt stop laughing as i was riding along, what a giggle

got covered totaly in mud and cant wait to get out on it tommorow for a big ride as i dont have to work friday.

it rides very well for a big beast, i am running the tires a bit hard at the moment to bed them in but the grip is just amazing, muddy corners that would have had me off a normal mtb were just fun, chuck it in and see if you can make it slide :LOL:

i got some strange looks riding away from the shop, but i didnt care as i was having fun :roll:.

waiting on a seat post and some proper flat pedals to arive then i will get some better pics up.

to sum up from a fat virgin

they are a load of fun and worth a go.

have fun

stubbsy :D

:D get used to the funny looks, and give those tires a few days before you lower pressures and see what these bikes can really do!

Do the really big tyres make pedalling difficult :? Hell of a lot of wind resistance anyway :LOL:
A real squirrel killer :shock:

£90 a tyre is pretty expensive,car tyres are way cheaper and even some motorbike tyres come in about that price.

Worth it though ;) :LOL:

dyna-ti":meksf1pv said:
Do the really big tyres make pedalling difficult :? Hell of a lot of wind resistance anyway :LOL:
A real squirrel killer :shock:

£90 a tyre is pretty expensive,car tyres are way cheaper and even some motorbike tyres come in about that price.

Worth it though ;) :LOL:

it was a lot faster rolling than i expected, once you are up to speed it just rolls over bumps that would throw a light xc bike all over the place. yeah the tires are expensive but last twice as long ;)no squirrels died in the making of this thread :LOL:

well its a week into owning the most fun two wheeler i have ever had.

i have made a few changes, some for personel preferance of components and looks and some to improve traction. these include BFL's front and rear, the back one running backwards for better grip, both at 8 psi (cheers saltyman ;) ) crank bros riser bars, lock on grips tompson post ,stem and seat collar (they look nicer than surly bits :roll: ) fizik tundra saddle because i like them :LOL:

it rides very well, its heavy weighing about 35lbs but its just so much fun, i am going to remove one cog from the rear cassete as there is slight chain tire contact on the lowest gear, done about 35 miles so far and just keep laughing evey time i take it out :roll: .

blackops001.jpg

blackops002.jpg

blackops003.jpg

blackops006.jpg

blackops004.jpg

blackops005.jpg

Back