1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega - The update 23-01-12

Shame about the frame, yay for things getting worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Not sure where these "defamatory comments" are.

MikeD":2nkf8thy said:
Not sure where these "defamatory comments" are.

Accusations of the frame being cracked prior to shipping, or ridden hard and cracked. ;)

In my humble opinion, the bike was damaged in transit. Upon closer inspection there was a hole in the side of the box where the wheel spindle had come thru. looking at this area, it's almost exactly where the damaged part of the frame would have been sat (behind the wheel) too, so it's not totally improbable that a heavy drop would create quite a force between the wheel/cassette (if it was packed that way round, I can't exactly remember now) to cause damage in that area. Further heavy movements/impacts could then cause this damage to spread.

But unless we have a camera on the box for the full journey (or a time machine) we'll never know...

With regards the repair, when I spoke to Enigma, they declined to repair it, as the only thing they would have wanted to do is remove the rear stays completely and weld new on. Seeing these parts are no longer available, it wouldn't be ecenomic for them to repair it.

Oh, and for the record, the shipping company have never contacted me about this, for further investigation or evidence. Not a single correspondence. ;)

Accusations of the frame being cracked prior to shipping, or ridden hard and cracked.

I didn't read those as accusations. Cracks like that start tiny, gradually get bigger and eventually separate, hence all those "just riding along" frame breakages -- the snapping bit is just the final step in a process that lasts months. It'd be very hard to spot in the early stages. It accuses no-one of anything to suggest that the frame had an unnoticed fatigue crack that then separated in transit. Could well have taken a hit that finished it off, but frames don't break like that from one impact. No-one's fault except whoever designed the frame that way and the passage of time :)

It's a real pity, always liked that bike, hope to see it back one day. Lovely to see a potential issue like this get sorted so cleanly, not like those other clowns who were on here the other day ;)

MikeD":bozewf3e said:
Accusations of the frame being cracked prior to shipping, or ridden hard and cracked.

I didn't read those as accusations. Cracks like that start tiny, gradually get bigger and eventually separate, hence all those "just riding along" frame breakages -- the snapping bit is just the final step in a process that lasts months. It'd be very hard to spot in the early stages. It accuses no-one of anything to suggest that the frame had an unnoticed fatigue crack that then separated in transit. Could well have taken a hit that finished it off, but frames don't break like that from one impact. No-one's fault except whoever designed the frame that way and the passage of time :)

It's a real pity, always liked that bike, hope to see it back one day. Lovely to see a potential issue like this get sorted so cleanly, not like those other clowns who were on here the other day ;)

I suspect the irritation arose from the replies implying, from a 'less informed' point of view, that the 'Seller' knowingly tried to foist a damaged frame onto the 'Buyer...'

Whilst I would imagine that the damage was indeed already there, just waiting to manifest, and some undisclosed/unadmitted impact during transit revealed said damage on unpacking, having admired the bike myself earlier this year it was patently obvious there was no evidence of the damage beforehand.

Such is the dilema/trepidation with which one invests in old Ti/Alu/Carbon frames/components, many years after their originally intended life expectancy...

We_are_Stevo":6vqvfn07 said:
Such is the dilema/trepidation with which one invests in old Ti/Alu/Carbon frames/components, many years after their originally intended life expectancy...

Don't forget steel as well, there fella.. ;) :LOL:

GT-Steve":3hpyb8g6 said:
We_are_Stevo":3hpyb8g6 said:

Don't forget steel as well, there fella.. ;) :LOL:

Guess we're not talking Raleigh Activators again then huh? :LOL:

Back