1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega - The update 23-01-12

Frame would look exceptional crusing round Manchester city center and
Blackpool prom this summer......
PM in coming.

GT-Steve":1edwfih4 said:
Well I wanted to start this thread as a journey, but unfortunately the limiting factor was my head.. :(

And I'm so :shock: :shock: at some of the defamatory comments previously on this post. It's embarrasing.. :oops:

I think what matters most, aside from the entirely expected congenial conclusion twixt yourself and Mark, is that all the people on here who know you both offered their kind support; which is no doubt what you expected in the first place... :cool:

Let's face it, some of the responses would have been far worse if this were YouTube! :LOL:

It's amazing some of the comments from people on this thread who have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about the history of the frame, who the buyer and seller were or anything for that matter.

I know I would be confident in dealing with either of you with a very expensive purchase knowing that your word (and a well insured package) would make sure the deal went well even if there were any setbacks like this one.

Well said. It just shows what this site is all about.
I know Im a unknown but when I joined (last year)
All was good but since then I have seen some errr
how can I put It "moves pulled" the PP gift is
being abused.

I know who I'd deal with. And this thread gives me faith in RetroBikes.

Im realy gutted to read this story, its been a bike ive looked up to for the last couple of years on local rides, glad you both resolved the problem and with a few braces welded here and there she will be back on the trails im sure.
Lee.

At Steve's recommendation, from here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 28#1390828 ...

We_are_Stevo":3l81tnyf said:
I didn't comment re any potential repair on GT Steves thread, but wouldn't a spigot (slimmer length of Ti tube) welded inside the damaged tube (similar to the steerer extension I've seen on here elsewhere) do the trick and make it rideable??

If the spigot was of a length to reach from the dropout to past the weld with the elevated chainstay then surely it would be stronger that new and spread the load passed the critical joint??

I think this would work, and any competent engineering firm that carried out Ti welding should be able to do this. In fact I'd probably have the other dropout done at the same time if it were me... :cool:

merckx":3gmyn52x said:
how would the spigot be inserted and welded inside the tube?

One tube is already cracked so split it completely, clean tube of impuritues, insert spigot, drill and weld/braze (for brazing* you'd probably need to use a firm in the aerospace industry).

The other side, cut and repeat...

...job done, go ride :cool:

* for the benefit of those who will no doubt say it can't be done...

http://www.welding-advisers.com/Brazing-titanium.html

Back