Carver 96'er

Nice! That looks really good no matter if it is a budget build. As an owner of a B9er, you already know I'm onboard with the whole 69er thing. :) :cool:

:cool: Nice.
So is that a 26' on the back and a 650 front like my RM?
I really enjoy riding mine and will shortly be treating her to a new double chainset. Need to find a 39t sprocket to replace the 42t and all will be well :D

andyh2":zcwc3rfo said:
How do you find the Carver compared to your Singular?

Well, I have them with both quite different set-ups at the minute, so it's difficult to say. The Hummingbird (at the minute) has an Alfine 8 hub fitted and Maverick SC32 forks but still with a 29" front wheel. This slackens it out a bit more than it really should be, plus with the Alfine it's not really very light. It still climbs well though and still handles well in tight, nadgery going plus it's a very comfortable feeling bike.

However comparing it as a singlespeed to the Carver - the Carver is lighter, shorter, turns on a sixpence and feels like a little toy. Because of this it's a lovely bike to play around the woods on for a couple of hours - climbs brilliantly, does slow trials-y stuff well too. That's sort of what I built it for, that kind of riding.....

But, comparing like for like (with rigid forks) the Hummingbird has almost telepathic handling, at low speed, at high speed, you almost just have to think of a line and you can get away with it - I've never ridden a bike that is as confidence inspiring.
I've said it before, I know, but if you want to see how a wonderful handling bike feels then try one - with the rigid forks and 29" front wheel. It really is a gem and I'll not be in a hurry to part with it.

In fact, I'd like to get another frame (medium) but there are non in stock now. Anyone got one they want to part with??

Both sound good, though it sounds like if you were choosing one it would be the Hummingbird. As is often the case it's hard to get a 'try before you buy'.

I've recently got a sliding dropout rigid Inbred 26" and have been really enjoying it in the woods, but from past experience it'll be less comfy over stoney landrover tracks. I have a s/h Hummingbird rigid fork coming to try with a 29er wheel on it, though your enthusiasm for the complete Singular f&f package makes me wonder if I should go back for the frame to match it. It's a large BTW so it wouldn't fit you :)

Yes, it would definitely be the Hummingbird that I'd have, if I could only have one of them. If you can get the frame at a reasonable price then I'd go for it, if I were you.

Stoney Land Rover type tracks? With a big volume tyre (2.35"), run tubeless at lowish pressures and rigid forks the Hummingbird eats them up :cool:
The faster you go, the better it gets.

Back