Suss Forks Choice

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Have been looking at a fork selection and this Modern stuff is more confusing than the Retro side of things...
If I was after a 120mm Tops fork for Cross Country, maybe some enduro races & Trail Centres (Not a reckless rider, nor heavy) what would you suggest? So a split between lightweight & a fork that can get me through a lack of technical ability...

Looking at Fox, RS Revelation or Sids...& looking for used not abused!

Broaden your choices. The RS Reba is an excellent fork.
Dual air, proper damping adjustements, remote lockout, adjustable from 80 to 120mm in 10mm increments (by taking it apart and putting a different spacer in the upper right leg). And it's lightweight as well.

The early ones have both canti and disc mounts, the later ones are disc only. Apart from that, I really can't tell the difference because the internals are virtually identical.

For any slightly modern build, it's the only fork I'd use.

RS Reba is probably the best performing fork for the money.

The Revelation is basically a longer travel Reba making the Reba quite a tough fork for the weight

Sid's are quite flexy and more aimed at full on race bikes.

I notice the Sid's on my Marin flexing much more than the Reba's on my Clockwork

Fox F Series are also good, but more expensive.

I prefer the look of Fox but the price of the Reba

Overall the Reba edges it on performance & value

If you can afford them, Fox any day of the week. They are the best by quite some margin.

Echo the old flexy SIDs comment. I use a new SID World Cup on one my bikes - they're flexy as chuff (I weigh 10 stone).

Only heard good things about Maguras. I was put off because I've never liked their brakes. Why that should matter, I don't know. Even more mad is I considered DT Swiss because I like their hubs and spokes. That said, the DT forks are another one to check out.

Cheers again for all the replies. With Fox you've got to be in the right place on EBay to get a deal...Think I may look at staying with the big 2 but I'll look at the Maguras as well. I had a pair of SX TI's back in 1998...

Definately get an air fork. Fox rl or rockshox reba for general trail/xc. Light but stiff, with all the adjustability you need to get the best out of them, plus lockout.

My fox forks have taken a battering over the last year odd, and still fine. Due a service, though they show no sign of needing one!

Fox every time. If buying used, look very carefully for stanchion wear, especially on the back of the legs - they seem to have improved this in recent years. Despite short quoted service intervals, they seem to go on and on with very little care. The Vanillas are also excellent, simple sprung forks that don't weigh too much more than the F series air foks.

Back