1989 Specialized Catalogue (UK Version)

Catalogue 1989 Specialized Catalogue (UK Version)

Real Epic '89":1rbaeioa said:
Hi, I can't find the stumpjumper epic in the 1989 catalogue is there any information of this frame? I do competition in the begin '90s on it.
I stll have one and i want to get the original componemts on it. Was this only a frameset or a complete bike?

Hi and welcom to the forum!
I don't think these Epics were on sale in 1989. The only one I know of can be seen at MOMBAT and is on loan from a former racer. http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1990_Spe ... c_PTB.html

Here you can see some of the original specs!

Lovely frame! :cool:

Thank you. I think this one is only deliverd as a frameset. I buy this one in 1990. And drive it in competition for 5 years. First with the direct drive fork and later with the futureshock. A lot of components have visit the frame.

I visit the Mombat site and this is the same one but in a bigger size. The competition bike Paul uses on the picture is a steel one with the cantilever brakes.

Specialized Hardrock Comp

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum, I was thrilled to find this catalogue..

I have a 1989 (as I now know) Hardrock Comp, I've had it since new but after being passed around the family a bit it's spent the last few years in a barn and is now a fairly vibrant ecosystem :D

It's basically pretty mint apart from a thick layer of dirt and some surface rust, still has the original tyres although I imagine they've had it.

I think I'm going to make it my winter project (New Zealand) to restore it to its former glory, from a quick perusal of the forum I gather the hardrock is not highly thought of but I always loved it.

Long term I have in mind an electric conversion but I'm not sure I should mention that here ;)

Cheers,
Bruce

Re: Specialized Hardrock Comp

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

Most people only like the high specs bikes, bur for me retro is retro! Sometimes it's harder to find a nice low-end bike in good condition than a high-end bike!

Love to see your winter project (winter has just gone over here!), but forget about that electric stuff! ;)

Cheers,
Bart

barees63":2tziysmn said:
Hi,

This is my first post to the forum, I was thrilled to find this catalogue..

I have a 1989 (as I now know) Hardrock Comp, I've had it since new but after being passed around the family a bit it's spent the last few years in a barn and is now a fairly vibrant ecosystem :D

It's basically pretty mint apart from a thick layer of dirt and some surface rust, still has the original tyres although I imagine they've had it.

I think I'm going to make it my winter project (New Zealand) to restore it to its former glory, from a quick perusal of the forum I gather the hardrock is not highly thought of but I always loved it.

Long term I have in mind an electric conversion but I'm not sure I should mention that here ;)

Cheers,
Bruce
;)

Here she is..

hardrock89.jpg
[/img]

My 1989 Stumpjumper

Mine, no decals left on this one, just pink and green.

Attachments

• WK 89.jpg
    WK 89.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 2,581
Finally I can show my mates that a grey and white stumpjumper team existed they've never believed me lol I've always wanted one of those bikes did they ever sell them in England?

I bought the same Hardrock Comp in "Magenta and Ivory" in late 1990. New but of course I got a deal as it was a previous year's model. Back in pre-internet shopping days so I found it in a retailer's ad in Bicycle Magazine I think. Can't remember who the retailer was now. Do still remember the thrill when the big box arrived in the post ready for me to do the final assembly.

It was the first bike I bought for myself. Well I think there was some negotiation around "How much were you going to spend on my Xmas present and can I use that to top up the savings from my part time jobs?"

I generally ride on the road these days but I've been trying to build up an MTB for general hacking about on local fells, canal paths etc. Keeping an eye on local "pick up only" listings on EBay for Bikes I could potentially harvest parts from when one of these pops up with no bids!

Too good an opportunity to miss. Seems to be virtually unridden. Even the tyres are the same as the original spec though they are not perished so I'm struggling to believe they are original. Guy I bought it off was the 2nd owner and admitted he had only ridden it a couple of times before it gathered dust in his garage for 15 years. Judging by the condition the 1st owner didn't do anything serious on it either.

I was doing a Sportive yesterday (last warm sunny Sunday of the year by the looks of it!), so have done a bit of fettling but not actually ridden the Spesh as yet. About to head out to the yard to index the gears and then I will be off out for a little pootle to see how it runs.

Latest posts

Back