Fred Whitton Challenge

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone here doing this year's Fred Whitton Challenge?

Just had a confirmation that I'm in, unlike my two mates who said they'd entered it but don't appear to be on the entry list.

Oh well, I ride better on my own anyway...

I have just watched this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9knx9Fcnhxc
wow im strangely interested in this, the most ive rode in a day is 70 mls (on a mtb) so this would be a killer for me even on a road bike, ive always fancied riding some of the passes but all in one day mmm some home work to be done here first before I can confirm if its a mistake or not :shock: :cool:

Just watched the route map. Knowing the area and my own limits, driving that route in a day would be tiring enough. Is it a closed road event?

It's something I will do one day, but will need to put a lot of training in. Great event and an achievement to finish it. Good on you for entering!

HarryCrumb":3ttctis3 said:
looks good, I may do the four seasons option at some point.
What bike are you using Paul?

Well I only have one road bike and it's a 2003 Giant TCR with a nice Dura Ace and Ultegra component mix, not exactly retro, but built up period correct nonetheless. It'd be nice to use something a bit older but I am at least fairly used the one I've got.
112 miles in a day on that route will be a real beast, but I've done quite a few hundred plus mile days when I've been touring, including days which have taken in some big mountain passes.
I'm hoping the lack of panniers and lightweight bike will make the climbing a bit more bearable. I'm actually more concerned about some of the descents on skinny tyres though.

The Ken":3ttctis3 said:
Just watched the route map. Knowing the area and my own limits, driving that route in a day would be tiring enough. Is it a closed road event?

It's not a closed road event as far as I'm aware.

I drove a car over Hardnott Pass in the fog and that was really scary. Taking a bike up there is madness.

I've done it once and failed once. Very hard day in the saddle but well worth it, its truly epic.

Ed did it last year with a report after if my memory serves me correct

Back