show us your cars 2

Rumble":969pk14f said:
Nice Paj highlandsflyer, even older than mine!

Has to be 1990 or earlier for us, proper retro! Mind you, mintness and cheapness don't coincide early enough for us to have much choice.

Yours is a V6 no? Have you thought about LPG? If you get the gubbins from a scrapped one you can convert it economically. :)

hey jimster, is the mk2 past or present?

full on 90's look on the go there! :cool:

lewis1641":f9wxurwv said:

Past.

As it was in 2000, morning before I got the exhaust fitted. Mods were getting to be a bit of pain - battery going flat after two weeks away, so no central locking, so no way of opening the doors (or bonnet)... Idle stab valve always needed cleaning on the valvers. Moisture got into the indicators when they were in the fog holes... pain over the speed humps that have proliferated around Nottingham...

Having done all the mods to Mk2s several times over, and walking around the GTI shows at the time, I decided that if I was going to do it all again, it's better to opt out of playing most of the games. I'd have a 3dr 1991 spec shell, keep it completely standard apart from painting it a colour VW don't do, and putting Mk5 transmission in it. Having 5x100 hubs gives you a world of decent wheel choices too.

Yours is a very early one, your wipers still wipe to the left (german wiper mech).

J i m s t e r":3h1bnupp said:
lewis1641":3h1bnupp said:

Past.

As it was in 2000, morning before I got the exhaust fitted. Mods were getting to be a bit of pain - battery going flat after two weeks away, so no central locking, so no way of opening the doors (or bonnet)... Idle stab valve always needed cleaning on the valvers. Moisture got into the indicators when they were in the fog holes... pain over the speed humps that have proliferated around Nottingham...

Having done all the mods to Mk2s several times over, and walking around the GTI shows at the time, I decided that if I was going to do it all again, it's better to opt out of playing most of the games. I'd have a 3dr 1991 spec shell, keep it completely standard apart from painting it a colour VW don't do, and putting Mk5 transmission in it. Having 5x100 hubs gives you a world of decent wheel choices too.

Yours is a very early one, your wipers still wipe to the left (german wiper mech).

yes mine is an 87 and the wiper sweep is a pain in the arse! i have had several heated discussions with people who tell me it is a lhd converted car. wheel choice can be awkward, mainly because so many people are wanting to pay big money for the classic wheels (just bought a set of bbs rm's same as they fitted to the g60's for £350 and they need a full refurb)

a friend has a 1.3 shell with mk3 vr6 running gear and a silly fast 16v engine. that is a really nice car to drive. he has no idea what has been done to the engine but it has a lot of poke.

i love my mk2 and would only really consider getting rid for an early spec 16v 3 door.

lewis1641":n4d3ycyh said:
a friend has a 1.3 shell with mk3 vr6 running gear and a silly fast 16v engine. that is a really nice car to drive. he has no idea what has been done to the engine but it has a lot of poke.

With that 1.8 16v, You could fit diesel pistons IIRC to increase the stroke length to almost 2L which revved lower but gave good torque and less top end speed. I had a cam but it idled like crap and was only any good with silly revs. The valves tend to get bent too if you are maxxing it out for long periods (where legal :twisted: ). Happened in one of mine.

The 3.7v8 that went into the Audi A8 was basically two of the 16v engines joined together.

I've always wanted the S8 that someone else has shown in this thread, but I think you are talking mid-teens to the gallon and group 20 insurance. And apparently the 4wd has to be aligned regularly and not all Audi stealers have the kit... Not financially sensible for me at the mo.

Shame, as I reckon that S8, original RS4 and orignal S3 are best designs Audi have done - the new Audi saloons, really, I struggle to tell apart. Do they need that many models and variants?

my mate has a b5 rs4 and it is a beautiful, if a little scary car to drive.

he runs a remapping company so it is running big power (just over 500bhp last time it was on the rollers)

driven carefully he gets about 20 mpg but it has to run high octane fuel.

it is a crazy car. happy to sit in traffic all day, pootling around town or an absolute autobahn monster

i like to think that by the time he has saved for the 911 turbo he lusts after, i will have saved enough to buy the rs4 off him!

I had a passenger ride for 10 mins in the 911 Turbo of an acquaintance, on the road, and found myself shaking, pale and thankful to be alive when I got home.

In the hands of a lesser driver, like myself, I would definitely be responsible for my own death, if not that of a small town. With great power comes great responsibility, and I'm afraid, for me, that the hit of adrenaline when it was at full chat would be like putting a fat kid in charge of a cake shop.

Glad I've got a 2.5 tonne truck now because the temptation to overtake has gone.

Back