FROGSKIN's 96/92 GT Zaskar (Finished - p4!).

looking pretty good, from one big zaskar fan to another! your refurb work really has worked a treat and brought a tired old bike back to its glory.

hans rey sure is synonomous with the zaskar. its a nig reason why they have the character they do i think.

well done, can't wait to see more

Thanks guys! It has been good to have a few days off work to fettle with this steed and sort some issues. Due to the frame being of 96 vintage, the rear cable guide on the seat tube is designed for a V-brake ie; the cable does not leave the guide centrally. As I am running Cantilevers this was a big problem. However, after having a think, I managed to utilize a threaded brake post to good effect. I simply drilled a 2mm hole through it at the appropriate cable position and bolted it through the existing hole in the rear bridge, with a M6 stainless hex bolt. The result ended up far cleaner and subtle than first imagined - and it works a treat too. Happy dayz :cool:

Sorry for the crap shots...

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,406
That's really nice I have just bought my first gt a 96 avalanche I gave it a bit if a rub over with autosol do you think I should rub the very light corrosion out and apply the graphics if just apply the graphics its never gonna look as good as yours but what I'm asking is it worth the effort ?

You bet it is worth the effort! Just remember when you start, you have to finish this process. Use mutton cloth and a toothbrush with Autosol as it makes polishing all the welds and nooks and crannies easy. Once you have done the whole frame once, go do it all again! Like anything in this world - the more effort you put in, the better the end results. You could use a electric or air polisher and pro polishing compound blocks, as this would save time.

The Zaskar is 6000 series ball burnished alloy, whilst the Avalanche is 7000 series I believe - so not sure if the finish will stay looking as good on your frame, compared with a 6061 series frame. You may need to re-polish more often. Remember to use a good resin Polish afterwards to seal the shine in. GO for it Dude! :cool:

the brake stop mod is awesome! that really does solve a problem. how does the brake feel? must be reasonably solid.

mine is 95, the cable guide is very similar though, and indeed when GT put cantilvers on it, they simply just ran a short piece of outer through that loop, with no real definitive stop.

Hey Merckx the brake feels waaay better now, although I have not ridden it yet. Lever is solid with minimal spongeness. Cannot wait to try it!

This is inspirational - always enjoy seeing a thread start with "I couldn't afford one back in the day, but now..." :LOL:

Look forward to seeing it done. I'm about to put new decals from Gil onto my Overbury's - any tips on stopping your hands shaking would be welcome...

Back