FEB 11th- National Ride Recce ....CANCELED....

This sounds like a good one, count me in for now, am down to work on that sat, but I will see what I can do. fingers crossed.

If anyone is coming from LS29 way, fancy sharing a lift?

FluffyChicken":2i9bivpf said:
How tough and long should National Status rides be. (given they're aimed at the general rider)

They seem to max around the 20miles length?
Over to Vern for that one.

Not to stop you doing 30mile, you'll be crying at the end rides while eating bombay mix. Just curious what rules have been set by drystonepaul ?

Nationals can be as tough as you want, just depends on how fit you are....

Most Nationals are between 20/25 miles, but its not as easy as saying a 30 mile ride
is harder than one thats 15 miles, there are factors like how much climbing and how technical the riding is and so on....

As far as rules from Paul about nationals.... Never seen anything that says how long a national should or shouldn't be,
But I wouldn't put a ride on knowing it was going to make most people suffer.

And don't forget this is a recce not the final ride......

Interesting question.
I've just put some guidance up about this for the AECs.

A 35 mile epic would indeed probably be a bit much for a National ride. I'm assuming that this recce will be exploring several options before editing it down to the highlights for the main ride in July.

Some good points raised.

Here are my feelings on the subject.

National Events are the cream of the crop. Over the last few years the area groups have raised the bar to new heights. If we want to provide a very special day out for folk, some who take valuable time from families and travel considerable distances, then it is our duty to pull out all the stops.

I may be biased, but I think the Yorkshire Moors is the best riding spot in the UK. The concentration of quality singletrack around Rosedale is particularly fine, and when Vern asked me to suggest a possible route, I instantly thought of Rosedale.

The route I have suggested (and it's only a suggestion at the moment, hence doing a recce so early in the year, allowing us to try alternatives) is tough, but well within the abilities of everyone I have ridden with over the years.

My warnings on this thread also take in considerations of the time of year. This route will be a killer in February but much easier in July.
The distance might seam daunting, but when you consider that the bulk of climbing is in the first 90 minutes, followed by a pub stop, then it's not so bad. Most ofthr height gain takes place on a disused railway too, so it's a gentle, sustained climb rather than a lung buster. The highest point in the route is at 14 miles, two short and sharp Tarmac climbs aside, the last 16 miles are all downhill- ideal for tiring legs.

Finally, we have a pub stop at 10 miles in, a feed station organized at 2/3rd distance, two easy escape routes planned in and transport available at 20 miles for those who are really tired. We will also have the benefit of a long day it being in July- we have allowed a generous time schedule to get everyone round too. What better than to finish in early evening with a cold pint of ale from the Cropton Brewery as a reward for our toils?

I'm incredibly proud of my native Yorkshire, and when those 40-45 punters turn up on the 21st of July, I want to give them a day to remember- and for the right reasons! Vern, Gil and I want to make this without doubt the best National Round of the year. We aim to deliver that promise.

Si

Will have to pass on this one too I'm afraid , as it's the first day I'm allowed to ride my bike after a month off it might not be a good idea! I'll have to make do with a more local 10 miler to get back into the swing of things.
Matthew

Based on the description from Dr S, I know that I've ridden quite a few sections of that route before.
The singletrack in the Moors is legendary and there are some really great bits of riding. The gradients too are generally quite favourable when it comes to climbing, as in they aren't that steep.
I can see a couple of steep 'carry' sections after the Lion Inn.

All this is fine of course, I'm sure that by July the route will be pretty much spot on for a great ride.

It'll be interesting to hear some feedback after the recce, and of course plenty of pictures.

The NYM is a fantastic area to ride and I'm really glad to have it on the RB National Calendar.

Reading this up to now I'm really looking forward to this national, prior knowledge of what to expect can allow us to prep bike and body accordingly.

TimHildreth":3j912xyc said:
defo in. Saturday swapped. power gels packed, bring it on! looking forward to this one.

Good news Tim, are you going for the car share option, it's not a problem :D

Back