1996 PROFLEX 856 RED 20'' - NOW WITH CUSTOM NEW ELASTOMERS!

34henry3w

Retro Guru
finally my unicorn!

This one will be the most intense resto ever...100% catalogue spec down to the gore ride on cables, ODS/MCUs...

MUCH more to come!

Attachments

• Frame Size Emblem.jpg
    Frame Size Emblem.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4,442
Here's how i got it...I will only be using the main frame. Everything else will be the best stuff I have from the 4 856s I currently own!

Attachments

• full frame pictures.jpg
    full frame pictures.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 4,298
thanks guys!

taking a bath then off to the painters for some touch ups (not stripping, just a little airbrushing, etc.)

The bottom bracket on both are stuck so ill go to the LBS on the way to have them remove them...dont have a long enough wrench!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 4,126
Here is a taste of how accurate this will be to catalog spec...OCD level.

NOS Gore Ride on Cables.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 4,113
thanks man

I had the paint touched up today. thre where several blemishes, but my painter is a genius with this stuff..the red and yellow match 100%

Attachments

• photo(22).JPG
    photo(22).JPG
    177 KB · Views: 4,041
  • photo(24).JPG
    photo(24).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4,041
I am sure I can make at least one 856 with these parts...

Over the last year I have been buying up 856s. The goal is to build a 100% perfect replica of the bike I raced in high school, and it be in mint condition. I needed 4 bikes to do this! (4th not shown) I am using all the best parts from the 4 bikes to make mine...even it means using 3 left shifters to make one etc..:)

I now have all the parts I need. It will be a "4 footer"...meaning from 4 feet, it must look brand new and unused..I think I can do it...you guys can be the judges!

When I am done, I will build a second bike with all the "second" best parts for my buddy in toronto, and a third bike, with all the "third" best for another friend...for some beer...a lot of beer.

Attachments

• d.JPG
    d.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 3,776
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 3,775
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 3,776
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 3,781
getting there..the elastomers, believe it or not, are totally fine...save a bit of staining...which mostly came out in a degrease bath...

Also I painted the ends of the shock assembly as the coating was coming off...

Attachments

• g.JPG
    g.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 3,771
  • f.JPG
    f.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,771
  • ee.JPG
    ee.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 3,771
Back