The good, the bad, and the ugly... 1995 Barracuda A2RS

fliier

Dirt Disciple
Hey guys and gals. Just today found this 'cuda' on my local CL. Went over to check it out and discovered the mostly good, little bad, and the big ugly. Hanging in my work stand right now waiting for disassembly. I know there are some Barracuda buffs out there that can help me through the redo, so lets hear it. What would you do...?

The good: Almost completely original. Bought from the original owner who bought it in 1995 at a now defunct bike shop in Denton, TX USA. Even the tires are original... The fork appears to be a factory upgrade (I think) as it was purchased new with the Manitou Comp installed, Barracudabicycle.com lists a Rock Shox Quadra 5 as the OE fork...

The bad: Not too much. The fork internals are toast. Fork compresses with no resistance... Elastomers are shot. Saddle looks like same vintage but not OE spec.

The ugly: Nasty dent mid top tube on right side. Owner crashed bike on one of our local trails, handle bars came around hard and Ouch!!!

The frame damage makes me think I should just clean it up nice and ride it. Maybe search for a replacement frame, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have a friend who is a paintless dent removal tech. I'll run it by him, but I doubt it can be improved much. It's a mechanical process and internal access would be almost impossible.

My local powder coater tells me that JB Weld can be used to make dent repairs and then powder coated. Kind of a cheesy way to go though he does do excellent work. I have no doubt it would be visually correct, of course then I'd have to find decals etc., and I would know the truth... :x

Anyway out of town tomorrow for a few days so give me something to chew on while I'm gone and I'll get on it later in the week. Thanks!

More pictures over here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1043955002 ... -W-l46C3AE

Attachments

• SAM_1070.jpg
    SAM_1070.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,859
  • SAM_0994.jpg
    SAM_0994.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,858
  • SAM_0975.jpg
    SAM_0975.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,859
  • SAM_1054.jpg
    SAM_1054.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,859
That's a pretty big dent. I'd want that fixing properly before I rode the bike off-road. Might be ok for gentle road cruising but it's probably still scare me...

Dent

It is ugly, but I'm not too worried about it structurally...

This is a steel frame so I think catastrophic failure is unlikely. It'll bend before it breaks.

The tubing is teardrop shaped on both the top and down tubes, the pointed end of the tubing inward. The dent is displaced maybe 5mm at the deepest in the wider part of the teardrop. Yeah it's an eyesore but I wouldn't be afraid to ride it. Not going to be hitting it too hard on a bike like this in any case.

That's why I'm thinking new frame or just clean it up and have some fun...

I took more dent pics this morning in daylight which I will post when I get a chance.

any local auto body shop should be able to pull that dent with a slide hammer. Probably for a few beers!..then a little touch up paint and you are set..

Dent pulling

I'll definitely look into that.

Any excuse to drink beer and talk bikes is a good one IMO... :smile:

Hope it's fixable...

Dont know if barracuda bike are different to the barracuda's we get over here cos the only ones I see are bso full bouncers £99 specials. The graphics look the same. Is it worth the bother saving it.

I think so...

From the Barracudabicycle.com web site:

"Today, there are bikes being produced by a company called Barracuda, but this is a European company that should not be confused with the Barracuda Bicycle Company of Durango, Colorado."

This is one of the original Durango Colorado built Barracudas. From what I've read, the original Barracuda operated from 92-95. In 1995 they got into financial distress and were sold to Ross, another purveyor of department store bikes just like the current Barracuda. At first Ross continued producing the bikes more or less as they were originally designed... Eventually they turned them into department store bikes... shocker I know. :roll:

So yes, I think it is worth saving. I didn't know much about this brand either until I began lurking here on RetroBike. You old bike crazies got me Jonesing for one of my own... Guess I've got a bit of crazy in me too.:LOL:

Check out the Barracudabicycle.com site for all the scoop....

I remember begging my lbs for a catalogue in the early 90s. Great visual appeal, those Barracudas.

The original Barracuda bicycles were quality machines. Had a couple back in 93 and 94 and they were up there with the best. The bikes made by Moore Large are just Barracuda licensed - I think they may even own the brand name now.

Story of Barracuda is pretty well told elsewhere though. Came out with a big bang - and disappeared almost as quickly. You won't hear too many positives about the owners, and some of the later bikes weren't that great - but the original line-up was pretty special - and v well specced for the time.

Manitou Comp

So the Manitou fork on this thing looks good, but doesn't work. I haven't been into it yet but I assume the elastomers have turned to mush...

I happen to have a Marzocchi z.3 light from 97-98 that I plan to use while I'm sorting this one out. The Marz is a real oil damped spring shock. I'm torn, should I keep the Marzocchi on this frame even if it isn't correct for the year or spend the $$ and fix the Comp. Most likely I will fix it but I doubt she will ever perform like the z.3...

Anyone running a newer shock on one of these frames?

If I do go with a rebuild of the Manitou, is it better to just replace the elastomers, or update it with one of the spring kits. Any recommendations? Where did you get the parts? Is there any damping in either choice?

Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_0974.jpg
    SAM_0974.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,560
  • SAM_0805.jpg
    SAM_0805.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,560
  • SAM_0972.jpg
    SAM_0972.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,559
  • SAM_0989.jpg