Claude Butler Kylami project

Jill Sandwich

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Since I'm on the Retrobike forum, I thought it might be useful to have a retro bike to go out on forum jaunts instead of this modern contraption, which replaced my 98 Marin that got nicked. In the interim I was riding my Dad's Claude Butler, which although made of solid lead, was an honest steed and I did take it on rides out to the seaside.
Since getting the On-One, the poor thing has gone back into Dad's garage and waits patiently for him to make good on his promise of taking it out for a spin now and then. That probably won't happen, but I aim to save it!

How it is now:

f30a118e.jpg

Apart from the wheels, it's all original!
8569991e.jpg

Grip Shift! Quill stem! And yes, 100% Pure Cro-Mo! Probably no dirt jumping then.
cd361097.jpg

Acera-X all up in this bitch.
01c8e560.jpg

Nice saddle whittled from a block of rubber foam.
90a2e995.jpg

Oh 'eck.

So what to do with it? It's going to get a new lick of paint, though I'll be hard pressed to get replica decals. I'd like some new wheels, as these are bashed and rusty. Definitely a new seat! I'm not going to spend a lot, but I will get it tidied up and running true. I'll post updates as they happen. And hopefully get better pics.

Oh, there was this thread from ages ago with the same bike, different front end.

Stripping it and cleaning everything will be a good start - it's always surprising how good ratty bikes can look with some love and attention. Not sure about the re-spray idea - a bit of patina can be quite nice and it's not a high-quality frame. I'd spend your hard-earned on some better parts if I were you - don't know what sort of wheels you have but if they're of the same standard as the frame you could look out for some bargain wheels with Mavic rims.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D

Hurray! Now get working on it!

I agree that stripping it and giving everything a good clean will make a massive difference - that seat binder might be a place to start!

Whilst it's not a great frame, if this is going to be your reto bike I don't see a problem with repainting the frame if you can do it/get it done on the cheap. Alternatively, if the paint doesn't look too bad when you clean it up, maybe you could just touch it up and do the luglighting or something to make it more impressive.

Once it's finished we can have a Claud Butler ride!

Thanks for the welcome!
It'll be my only retro bike, so even though the frame is doggy babba I'll still give it a spray. The black is all dull even when washed and polished, and the decals are worn to buggery, it just looks messy. My Dad's sprayed cars in the past and he'll know where to go and how much (I might try it myself!) Still undecided on luglining/lug highlights.
I'm keeping my eye out for wheels on the for sale forum :)

Oh, does anyone know what year this model is?

These wheels are still available:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Heavy, black .... a perfect match! Haha. Though thinking about it I could strip the black paint off and use them for my industrial bike .... though they really are heavy.

Anyway, you inspired me to go out for a short ride this afternoon on the Carabo to take some pictures of it and put them up, so as you can see from my signature, they are now on here.

Claud Butler

I'm just doing a black CB Cape Wrath with a frame I bought on the forum, am remaking the decals, yours look like those laser/hologram ones that were on mine, I stripped the remainder off and I'm going for the more traditional CB typeface. Can't see what model your's is but you're welcome to these files.

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1,629
It's a Kylami. Yours is looking good! I'll be keeping the old typeface but tarting it up a bit. Progress is painfully slow as money is always tight. I'll get there though. It's stripped and ready for shotblasting, I just need to get the absolutely knackered BB off!

O6BUi.jpg

If you can get the frame over to mine I'll get the headtube race off and I reckon we can get the BB out.

Alternatively, let me know when's good and I can bring some tools over to your folks' to have a go.

Latest posts

Back