Mechanics bike stand....

Most mechanics do not clamp at the top tube. Some of them are very thin.

I always clamp by the seat post. If the bike has a carbon seatpost I will fit a cheap alloy one to clamp it. Get a a stand that clamp this way.

£50 is always going to buy a stand that is comprimised in some way. I wouls spend a bit more if you can. Kestral Engineering make stands like this.

http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/bic ... duct_id=56

For me I had a hot rod builder who was a downhill racer at one point to built me a stand entirly from steel. So I have stand with a 3 pronged base that over 4 ft in diameter for stability, a massive steel post to which the clamping arm is attached. The clamping arm can rotate in two perpendicular planes and be raised up aand down. The clamp itself is steel and closes by a a screw so I have complete control of the clamping force. I don't have pic but it cost me £300. It is over engineered but will last a life time. Park make a similar stand but it cost twice that at least.

I am sure a cheaper version could be built that is smaller and have less adjustability. That way you will have a stand that is stable and will not break.

I like the sound of your own custom-built stand very much, and the stand in the link above isn't bad for the price, but for the average enthusiast the stand I bought is perfect...

...I don't even mind the fact that the bike does move a little in the clamp; bend down to pick something up off the floor and clout your head when you stand up, you'll find a little movement is quite beneficial! :eek:

I've got a minoura - fantastic and great price. Would have liked a Park one, but they are silly money.

As for roof joists: my old cellar had exposed joists, instead of inner tubes I used a length of climbing tape and an old maillon rapide. Worked brilliantly

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Keep an eye on ebay for a used stand that's pick up only.

I just collected a stand plus a selection of tools and bits (most of which I wanted) for £80

Right well I've plenty of food for thought...Whilst I like the look of "steveo's" I think I would like to be able to clamp the top tube or indeed the seat post. The Raleigh one on Rutland cycles looks a good buy for a little over £50...I would love to be able to spend £300 building an Ateam style welders masterpiece...But having just spent the best part of a grand on my new bike...another £300 would cause a marital meltdown!...that said I'll keep an eye on ebay for a used bargin!

After using the inner tube techique for years and getting fed up with the bike swinging all over the place, I got one of the those like in the ribble link.
Works really well for all types of frame. You can have the bike at a multitude of heights or angles.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back