Idiots guide.....bearing upgrades for Spesh FSRs....

i was just looking at the Bigmick :) the 'A' link bearings look as though they are compatible, but not so sure about the top of seat stay.
i'm not that confident with sourcing my own setup, so i wouldn't mind investing in a ready made kit. my main pivot bearing is already done and i think i have a BETD link that has a needle roller bearing in one end, so i think i only need to sort out the top of seat stays and the 'a' links....

and while you're both here, might i ask what shocks you are using on your FSRs? (i2i / stroke length?)
i just pumped my can up to the appropriate pressure for sag set up, but just wondering if my shock (i2i 165mm, stroke length 1.5") is ok for this FSR with the BETD linkage...??

Khane":l38ag27m said:
owner of both a '98 FSR & Enduro here, there are some similarities in the 2 machines but i honestly don't think an enduro bearing kit will be 100% useable on the FSR.
some of the bearings will no doubt fit, but the linkage on the FSR & Enduros differ fairly significantly.
i have the enduro seatstay fitted on mines thats why its a mix n match already had betd link and roller bearings when i bought it

shock i have fitted is RS sid 165-38

also have the original fox coil as a spare

most air shocks only fit upside down some wont fit because of valve location

twain":2n4ryy96 said:
and while you're both here, might i ask what shocks you are using on your FSRs? (i2i / stroke length?)
i just pumped my can up to the appropriate pressure for sag set up, but just wondering if my shock (i2i 165mm, stroke length 1.5") is ok for this FSR with the BETD linkage...??

from what i gather the BETD linkage allows the use of the original 165mm i2i shock, but changes the angle to allow more/less travel.

i know the i2i on my fox float R is 165mm, but not 100% sure on the stroke length without going out to the man cave, looking at a tape measure i'd take a punt at about 40-50mm.

bigmick":8pcncx35 said:
shock i have fitted is RS sid 165-38

also have the original fox coil as a spare

most air shocks only fit upside down some wont fit because of valve location

like my float R, fits fine upside down, but the valve stem is mighty close to fouling the frame when fitted right way up.

I really need one with some kind of "clever" lockout, i`m thinking some thing with propedal or the Specialized Brain.

Started doing a lot more miles on the FSR now as i had a super bad crash last weekend on my other bike and trashed the front wheel.

25 miles this morning on the FSR, i love the ride (well the Psylo fork is past it) but the pedal bob when out of the saddle is doing my head in.

Still running the stock RockShox coil on mine, i have had to wind it up a lot more to stop it bobbing so much when i pedal.

S-M":2ic0o9kj said:
I really need one with some kind of "clever" lockout, i`m thinking some thing with propedal or the Specialized Brain.

Started doing a lot more miles on the FSR now as i had a super bad crash last weekend on my other bike and trashed the front wheel.

25 miles this morning on the FSR, i love the ride (well the Psylo fork is past it) but the pedal bob when out of the saddle is doing my head in.

Still running the stock RockShox coil on mine, i have had to wind it up a lot more to stop it bobbing so much when i pedal.
lockout is hard to get for the rear, the lever is hard to move in the limited space, and flipped other way you cant reach valve, im going to try my fox rl with remote in a few weeks once my shoulder heals

bigmick":3qeykpwd said:
lockout is hard to get for the rear, the lever is hard to move in the limited space, and flipped other way you cant reach valve, im going to try my fox rl with remote in a few weeks once my shoulder heals

would like to know how you get on with that :)

having to remove the linkage to pump mine up! not trail side friendly! although once setup up properly, surely this wouldn't need to be done until serviced..??

twain":3pyeo01j said:
bigmick":3pyeo01j said:

would like to know how you get on with that :)

having to remove the linkage to pump mine up! not trail side friendly! although once setup up properly, surely this wouldn't need to be done until serviced..??

what shock is it?
and which way up do you have it ?

i originally fitted mine with the can at the top, but this made adding air a nightmare such as you are having.

flip it round so the shaft is at the top, you should have just enough room to get a finger up into the frame to change the rebound dial. and there should be enough room for the valve stem near the linkage to allow attachment of the pump.

although this all depends on what shock and what year model you have.

Latest posts

Back